Sports Wrap-Up: December 6-12

Kayla Holt

Wolverines Winter sports have begun and are taking Montgomery County Public School’s sports world by storm.

Girls Basketball

Varsity girls basketball kicked off their season well, getting their win against Kennedy High School on Friday, December 6.

“The game went good, we were down by a little bit first end, but then we picked up the momentum and came back up,” junior Hennriette Amankwah said.  This being their home game, the girls were super excited and practiced well and that definitely showed in how they played. The girls won 46-40.

The girls pulled off their second win of the season on Tuesday, December 10 against Springbrook High School, beating them in a close game, with an end score of 36-31.  “At first we were a little shaky and then once we picked up the momentum in the second half, that’s what changed the game for us,” junior Chiamaka Nwanko said.

The girls face off against Wootton High School’s Patriots at home at 7:15 tonight.

Boys Basketball

Varsity boys basketball lost a tough fought game to John F. Kennedy High School’s Cavaliers with a final score of 64-67 during their first game on Friday, December 6. Seniors Jordan Holland and David Kokora had great performances. Holland finished with 20 points, four assists, four rebounds, and two blocks. Kokora finished with 12 points, 11 rebounds, and 11 blocks.

“I feel like we came out really well and we moved the ball and played as a team I feel like down the stretch we started playing to our opponents’ speed and that really impacted us,” Holland said.

The team suffered another well-fought loss to Springbrook High School’s Blue Devils with an ending score of 48-66 on Tuesday, December 10. Kokora finished with 18 points, 13 rebounds, and ten blocks. Meaning a back to back triple-double performance for Kokora.

“We could have rebounded more and turned the ball over less to come away with the win,” senior Mamadou Ndiong said. The ‘Rines hope to defeat Wootton High School’s Patriots tonight, Friday, December 13 in their home opener at 5:30 pm.

Indoor Track

Watkins Mill High School’s indoor track team started their season on Friday, December 6, followed by meets on Monday, December 9 and Wednesday, December 11.

Junior Baebaa Sayeh holds a record of 46 feet in shot put. Senior Reggie McKenny holds records of 41 feet, 21 feet, and 6 feet 4 inches in the triple jump, long jump, and high jump. Junior Donovan Brown ran a 36.9-second 300-meter dash.

Freshman Ella Rishell ran a 47.4-second 300-meter dash and junior Julissa Gutierrez ran a 2-minute 50-second 800-meter dash.

“My goal is to make states and get the kids to enjoy track, become better at it, develop skills they didn’t have before, and find college opportunities for my seniors through track,” coach Steven Schaired said.

The ‘Rines next meet is on Monday, December 16 at Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex.

Wrestling

Wednesday, December 11, the Watkins Mill Wolverines took on Damascus High School’s Hornets. Varsity lost despite the standout performances from senior Victor Kum and sophomore Romeo Tsai. The team is looking to bounce back from their loss this weekend at the Winter Blitz tournament at Frederick High School.

“We knew this season would be rough as we have a lot of people new to the sport; we will continue to work hard to overcome these challenges,” Kum added.