The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Sensei Bob’s Mojo Dojo Casa House

Angela Mvogo
Learn more about the world of Karate through Mr B’s view!

Which science department teacher has four sons, owns a karate dojo, and is referred to as Sensei Bob?

If you guessed Biology teacher Robert Buchanan, who also teaches biology and astronomy, then you are correct!

In April 2014, Buchanan formed Forge Dojo, where he takes on a multitude of responsibilities. These include coming up with instruction lessons, training, ordering equipment and uniforms, and cleaning. He finds planning training sessions the most interesting part of his endeavors as a karate instructor, often planning events in four-month cycles. His own personal experiences led to his passion thus far.

“When I first started training, I was about 130 pounds heavier than I am now. The dojo provided me with a space and community, Buchanan said. “ I wanted to create a space and community for others to change their lives for the better.” 

Passion aside, Buchanan is not oblivious to the intense physical demand that comes with training. He describes it as physically, mentally, and spiritually demanding. However, he believes it’s an important part of the process. “[students] quit and rob themselves of the opportunity to experience tremendous growth because they are uncomfortable with being comfortable,” he added.

Buchanan receives gratification from helping his students climb the metaphorical ladder of belts of all colors and qualifications. “My favorite experiences are when students do things, and achieve things that they didn’t think were possible.”

A lot has been made of Buchanan’s karate name, Sensei Bob. He was given the honorific title after passing his 3rd-degree black belt exam. According to Buchanan, there are many misconceptions regarding the meaning of the title. 

“Most Westerners believe that Sensei means teacher, but this isn’t true. In its purest form, Sensei means one who has gone before or gone ahead of.”

Buchanan, whose sons have also trained at the dojo, believes that karate is useful for kids to learn in order to foster humility, strength and self-love in their lives. 

“Training, over time, greatly improves self-confidence.” Buchanan said, “As students learn what they are capable of, it has a deep and profound impact on their overall self-image… karate training exposes students regularly to opportunity.”