The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

MCPS students now can take classes at Montgomery College

Students+are+now+allowed+to+take+college+classes+at+Montgomery+College+free+of+charge.+
Michelle Batres
Students are now allowed to take college classes at Montgomery College free of charge.

Starting this fall, Montgomery College allows Montgomery County Public School students to take classes for free on their campus.

MCPS and MC partner to provide Dual Enrollment (DE) opportunities for college-ready students at all high schools. Dual Enrollment allows MCPS high school students to be enrolled in MC during the fall, winter, and spring sessions while completing high school.

This year, MCPS will allow students to take college courses not offered at their respective schools at MC with no fees. To be eligible for DE, students must take a placement test to see if they are academically ready for college classes.

Free transportation will be provided to students during the school day. A transportation schedule will be available for enrolled students at their respective schools. To coordinate this arrangement, students are encouraged to ask the Dual Enrollment Program Assistant and counselor to change their schedule accordingly.

The DE program allows high school students to earn an associate’s degree through their early college or middle college programs. It will also enable them to earn college credits through the Jumpstart to College at MC. They will be taught by college professors on campus or online.

Due to the limited number of WM students in the DE program, the school does not offer transportation. Those students take regular classes during the school day and then take their MC classes at the end of the day virtually or at MC.
DE is great for students who want to continue studying at Maryland state schools. If students taking DE courses wish to attend an out-of-state college, they must check if the course credits are accepted.