Baltimore Ravens strength coach speaks to student athletes about staying motivated

Jade Pinkowitz

Principal Carol Goddard poses with Motivational Speaker Robert Osborne after his speech at Watkins Mill High School on January 4.

Nana Osei Tutu, Editor-in-Chief

All athletes are motivated by different things whether it be becoming a professional athlete or something as simple as trying to keep in shape.

On Friday January 4, Baltimore Ravens strength and conditioning coach Robert Osborne came to Watkins Mill High School to speak to all fall and winter athletes about his trials and tribulations while growing up and why he kept pushing on.

Osborne was born in Washington, DC and grew up in Prince George’s County until his parents divorced and he moved to Montgomery County with his mother and sister. “It was a little different for me coming from PG county, but that was when my life changed. Coming up here was a blessing,” Osborne said.

“I didn’t start playing football until I got to high school. It was probably one of the best decisions I made in my life,” Osborne said. Osborne is a Clarksburg High School Alumni, graduating in 2008. He then went on to receive a full scholarship from Towson University to play defensive tackle on the team.

“If I didn’t make the right decision, I would probably be in jail,” Osborne said as he shared a story about hopping out of a friend’s stolen car because of a gut feeling he had. “The mindset and making the right decisions can lead to either a good choice or a bad choice in life,” Osborne added.

“It’s all about the mindset,” Osborne said. Throughout Osborne’s message, he made many references and connected his stories back to “the mindset.” The decisions one makes when it comes to their friends and family are all a part of their mindset.

In high school, Osborne received the opportunity to train with a coach outside of school who sponsored him because he could not afford it. His trainer was shot and killed the day before his signing day for college. “I lost my trainer. He was like a dad to me,” Osborne said. Osborne began to give up on everything until his mentor began to motivate him again.

About five years ago, Osborne continued to get cut and sent home from jobs. He began working with Steve Saunders, who is now the head strength and conditioning coach for the Baltimore Ravens, and was offered a job with the team.

He made two main points during his speech, saying “Hard work feeds more hard work” and “take control of your mindset.”