The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Everyone has a story

Michelle Batres
Bud shares her story, prompting us to think twice before judging others around us.

Everyone has a story. 

You never know what’s going on with the person next to you or even in front of you. 

In the corridors of the school, workplaces, or wherever paths cross, we encounter untold stories. Some wear their tales openly, while others guard them behind a veil. The truth is, we never know the battle someone is fighting outside of our shared spaces. 

I have a story, one that not many would expect or be pleased to hear.

One that I have kept guarded because I was scared of judgment or being seen differently by my friends.

Not all things are meant for casual conversation; I’d rather laugh than work out my problems sometimes. 

Growing up I’ve always been the parent, not because my parents weren’t present but because my parents couldn’t handle it. I stepped up to help keep things in order. Soon, I became the third parent and the oldest child.

As I mentioned earlier, EVERYONE has a story, including my parents. Without them, I would have no story, no beginning. Their story is my story, and I am an extension of the story they started.

I may not know everything my parents went through, but I do know that I got the downfall of most of it. Whatever they went through affects how I live now, from having to take care of at least 4 of my siblings at a young age to maturing and learning while helping them grow and get that knowledge.

To have to handle advanced classes while taking care of 6, the workload from both nearly took over. 

Everyone has a story, but this is mine. 

As the kid who managed to continue doing well in school despite growing up in a broken home, I felt pressure to ensure my siblings were growing up as good people while also ensuring my future. Sometimes, it felt like I had to pick one over the other.

That is my story. Not many people know my story or what I have done to get to where I am now. It wasn’t easy, but I’d do it again to make sure that my siblings and I have a bright future ahead. 

So the next time you pass someone in the hallways, or share a moment with a friend, remember: everyone has a story. Let the judgment go, and let kindness be the common thread that binds us together.

One way or another, we’re all connected through a story.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Current
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Watkins Mill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.