The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Why you need to join marching band

Tejan+speaks+on+why+he+believes+you+should+join+the+marching+band.+
Abijah Hines
Tejan speaks on why he believes you should join the marching band.

Do you ever wonder what it’s like to be a part of the higher echelons of the world? To be the most elite of the elite?

Well, then you HAVE to join the marching band!

Marching band is 100 percent the best club I have decided to join at Watkins Mill. (Editor’s Note: Ahem. Except newspaper. That’s your favorite. Get it right.) You get to hang out with your friends all day, play music, and to top it all off, you get free pizza every week!

It gets particularly fun on game day. Unlike the jocks (*cough* Abijah *cough*) who probably spends the entire week before the match crying themselves to sleep, we simply suit up and play our little songs.

“But I don’t know how to play an instrument or read music!” you may be thinking. I’m about to drop a huge spoiler here…

IT DOESN’T MATTER.

They’ll always find an instrument for you. When I first joined, I played the cymbals better known as, the instrument the monkey from Toy Story played. I worked my way up and now I play bass guitar! That’s right. I am the Paul McCartney of marching band now.

The only downside to joining the band is that sometimes the pizza toppings aren’t perfectly symmetrical.

Traveling to distant schools has got to be one of the best parts. They’re like mini-field trips, but TO a school instead of away from one. I promise it’s better than it sounds.

Have I mentioned this is all FREE?!?! If anything, YOU’RE getting paid. In pizza. And SSL hours.

I have so many SSL hours from band that I’m thinking of laying off a few so the college admissions don’t file child labor charges against Mr. Kielar.

“Who is Mr. Kielar?” you may ask. He’s easily one of the top five coolest teachers at Watkins Mill. Not only does he carry the music department alongside Dr. Ryon, but he’s also a black belt in karate.

Being a black belt, and a band conductor has got to be the rarest possible combination in the universe.

In fact, I’d argue that it would be rarer than you not joining band after reading all this.

JOIN BAND!

(Editor’s Note: And newspaper.)