Girls reverse roles in annual Powder Puff football game

Jade Pinkowitz

Junior Nadia MakMak in motion!

Israel Safo and Arthur Siqueira

Seniors and sophomores dominated freshmen and juniors in the annual Powder Puff football game Thursday, November 8 with a score of 31 to 6 after a hard-fought game.

The juniors and freshmen were coached by juniors Kameron Thorpe, Victor Kum and David Okoli. The sophomores and seniors were coached by seniors Spencer Neil, De’Jion Martin, Sam Berhanu and sophomore Baebaa Sayeh.

The game opened up with senior A’Shanti Roger running for a 50-yard touchdown to give the seniors and sophomores a six-point lead. The extra point was good and kicked by sophomore Jaden Gaboton.

“We didn’t really play our best but I had fun because I think Powder Puff is a great opportunity for the classes to come together,” junior Isis Barnes said. “I didn’t play last year so I’m glad I got the chance this year.”

After three consecutive scores by Roger, the juniors and freshman put six on the board after junior track star Amelia Burton ran over 50 yards to score a touchdown, bringing the score to 19 to 6 at the end of the third quarter.

Juniors had great defensive plays from junior track star Rachel Jansen and Barnes both putting in a lot of work.

Sayeh loved how the team played. “They performed excellent,” Sayeh said. “I told my girls that the winning team would be the team that runs their techniques and performs and that’s exactly what they did.

Thorpe loved how hard the juniors and freshmen played. “The better team did not win,” he said. “I respect Baebaa and his coaching staff and his amazing players. We fought hard but were not disciplined enough to execute our plays effectively. We will be back and better next year.”

Seniors and sophomores closed out the game with a last-minute touchdown by senior Annie Riley to close out the game 31 to 6.