Muscle Movement Foundation club seeks to work out, give back to the community

Flyer for new Watkins Mill club Muscle Movement Foundation.

Aisha Sowe

Aisha Sowe

Aisha Sowe

Watkins Mill High School has a new club this year based off of the Muscle Movement Foundation, dedicated to being active, moving muscles, and giving back to those in need.

Muscle Movement Foundation is a non-profit organization that raises money for individuals who are suffering from muscular diseases, such as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and Multiple Sclerosis (MS). The club’s sponsor is IB Sports Exercise Health Science teacher, Laura Davis Vaughan, and was started by sophomore Seda Tsarni, who came up with the idea over the summer.

“I had to get [the Muscle Movement Foundation club] started as soon as possible,” Tsarni said.  

The club “gives you the platform and the resources to better support the cause,” sophomore Caleb Vargas added. The club plans to have community events, such as obstacle courses and group workouts held after school and on Saturday mornings.

Club members participate in fundraisers by collecting donations from attendees and spectators during sports games, which they can earn SSL hours for. “If you’re on a sports team, you can dedicate a season and you can raise money and ask for donations at competitions,” sophomore Jonas Clark said.

Clark decided to participate in Muscle Movement Foundation because it’s an issue that doesn’t get a lot of attention. “Especially since the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge died down, I don’t think people talk about not being able to move, and I think that’s something people need help with,” Clark added.

The Muscle Movement Foundation club wants to make people more aware of the privileges they have, and use them for a greater good. “The point [of the club] is to have community workouts and realize, ‘Hey, I can move my muscles. I’m able to eat, swallow, and walk as I please,’” Tsarni added. 

Meetings are held Fridays during STEP in Davis Vaughan’s room in C202. Students from all grades are welcomed to join, regardless of athletic ability.

About the Writer
Aisha Sowe, Features Managing Editor

Aisha Sowe is a senior and a Features Managing Editor for The Current.  Aisha has been writing articles for the school newspaper since her sophomore year. After high school, Aisha would like to attend college in the Mid-Atlantic region and is interested in either studying journalism or liberal arts. She would also like to travel Europe and Africa someday after college.