Assistant principal brings order to Clemente Middle School next year

Jade Pinkowitz

Assistant principal Steve Orders, who will be leaving at the end of this year to become the Magnet Program Coordinator at Roberto Clemente Middle School

Jessica Cruz

As the school year comes to an end, many staff members are looking forward to taking a little break from Watkins Mill. However, that is not the case for assistant principal Steven Orders, who will miss Watkins Mill when summer begins.

Orders will be leaving his current position at Watkins Mill to become the Magnet Program Center Coordinator at Roberto Clemente Middle School. “I am always looking for new opportunities to learn and grow and to expand my learning and understanding of how the system works and how students learn,” Orders said.

At the beginning of his educational career, Orders taught English at Earle B.Wood Middle School for five years. He was at Thomas Wootton High School for four years, then worked at the Central Office of Curriculum and Instructional Programs for both middle and high school, and spent a year at Clarksburg High School.

“I say I change location and jobs every couple of years. I think you’ve got to stay a certain amount of time to get a sense of what is going on,” Orders said, “I would like to stay here, but I would also like to take on a new set of challenges.”

His end goal is to continue to work to become a principal one day, and he believes having both high school and middle school levels of experience is important.

Orders said the thing he will miss most about WMHS will be the teachers, students and community. The news came as a shock to many staff members, but they understand and respect his decision on taking the next step in his career. Without a doubt, Orders will be missed by many students and staff.

I will miss his positive energy and his high fives, I could always rely on him if I was having a bad day,” science teacher Matt Johnson said. “He would welcome me into his office, listen to me, and give me really good advice. He always seemed to find a way to make things better.”

Orders will be remembered for his work ethic and commitment to making Watkins Mill a great place for all students and staff.

“I think he will most be remembered for his smile, his positivity, and his genuine care for The Mill,” English teacher Sonya Shpilyuk said. “I have no doubt that he loves us–really, really loves us, and we love him.”