Senior Reflection: Hezekiah Likekele

Hezekiah Likekele

Wow, the time has finally come. Senior year. To be brutally honest, it still hasn’t hit me that I’m graduating. Mostly feels like I’m going through the motions.

The past four years though have been nothing short of a movie. From the soul train line freshman year, the time we jumped my friend on his birthday, the battle of Buhrstone and countless other memories. And yet, I had some of the most fun in journalism class.

Freshman year, I’m a minnow in a school full of sharks just trying to figure my way around when I came across Mrs. Confino. The first impression was that she was already one of my favorite teachers because of her love for teaching, even with the ignorance of my friends (and trust me, we were pretty ignorant.)

Toward the end of the year, she’s fully trusted and developed my writing skills and proposed that I take her journalism class. I was a little hesitant but I took that risk and did it anyways.

Sophomore year, I walk in on my first day, see all my close friends and knew INSTANTLY that I was going to accomplish no type of work. But I was wrong. I actually wrote plenty of articles. Most notably the one about the guy who stole my phone and my juice while I was at practice.

Another notable event was meeting my best friend Jennifer Vargas after she swore she hated all of my friends because we were young and immature. My friends clowned me for spending all my time with her and avoiding those tennis articles (sorry Mrs. Confino) but it was nice to have someone to talk to all the time.

Junior year was a stressful year and looking back, I can’t even tell you anything other than IB this, IB that, IB dang tired. Can’t even name one significant detail about it. I probably wrote some articles or something.

Senior year I wasn’t able to do journalism because of (you guessed it): IB. Once I came back the second semester, I was putting up articles in my sleep.

Looking back at my senior year really makes me realize how much I’m really going to miss everyone and everything at Watkins Mill and I’m truly thankful for everyone who’s helped me along the way.