Seniors give tips on making the most of high school experience

Heaven Atta

Seniors working on the senior rock.

Destiny Tiburcio, Associate Editor

As seniors settle into their last year of high school, they have knowledge and experiences that lower-classmen are eager to hold. Through multiple successes and failures, seniors have learned lessons that are useful in and outside of the classroom.

SAT scores may be something that freshmen are not concerned about, but seniors advise them to start thinking about it early. The SAT is a standardized test that is used for admission to college.  

“I wish I knew the importance the SAT because it’s a huge [factor in] getting into a college or not. I should have studied for it earlier and not waited so last minute,” senior Chase Soghomonian said. Freshmen don’t have to start studying now, but doing some practice tests online once in a while can help with getting familiar with the test.

Senior Fatou Drammeh agrees with Soghomonian, reminding freshmen to “study hard for your SAT.”

Drammeh wants class of 2021 to know the importance of socializing with those around them.  “Since the start of my freshman year, I’ve become more social and learned to interact with people that I never thought I would talk to,” Drammeh added. Building new relationships with peers is always a good idea; it can help widen social horizons and make a better overall high school experience.

Many seniors wish they could go back in time and redo their freshman year. Senior Alex Wright regrets not getting more involved during his time at The Mill. Freshmen should “get involved in lots of clubs. I’m applying for colleges now and my resume looks pretty empty,” Wright said.

One vital piece of advice that may seem impossible to remember is to not stress out. Being responsible is important, but don’t get too overwhelmed. “Stressing yourself will ruin your whole high school career,” senior Electra Athanasopoulos said. “Don’t try too hard … you’re just gonna end up stressing yourself [out].”

Every year of high school has its own obstacles and challenges, whether it’s freshmen adjusting to a new environment or seniors struggling with the college applications. Nevertheless, there are all have things students can learn from one another.