Senior Reflection: Krystin Ipina

Krystin Ipina

Senior Krystin Ipina reflects on her four years of high school and is excited to start her college journey.

Unsurprisingly, I am writing this very late and after some (heavy) pushing from Mrs. Confino (sorry!). I think I was putting it off because I’m not necessarily ready to say goodbye or reflect on a very hectic year.

As a graduated student and freshly turned 18-year-old, it’s made me think a lot about the past four years. Freshman year brought forth many changes in my life, a new school, a new schedule, and a completely new friend group. However, I was honestly excited about all these changes and ready to start the next chapter of my life. Now, four years later, I find myself in a similar position. 

I’ve undoubtedly made a lot of unforgettable memories during my time at Watkins Mill—some good and some definitely bad. I’ll never forget meeting two of my (ex) best friends (even though we never even really called each other our best friends) and how quickly we all connected. I remember my sophomore year Halloween party and how happy I felt at that moment. I’ll forever remember joining OLAS and competing, especially when we won second place this year in my last competition. I’ll especially remember my quinceañera, all the dance practices, the Final Destination remake my court and I made, and watching The Conjuring about twenty times. Of course, I made a lot of bad memories this year too, but just like Josh said in his senior reflection, “Will I elaborate on those downsides? No. Moving on.”

In all of those memories, someone was always a constant, my very best friend and co-Editor-in-Chief was someone I always had by my side. We have watched each other grow up and our friendship has grown with us. She has undoubtedly made my life brighter, even from something as simple as a text and I will be eternally grateful for that. 

This year has been the definition of bittersweet. I can say there have been (really) bad times, but also really really amazing times. This year did not turn out the way I thought it would at all, but I think everything that has happened really helped me branch out more, talk to more people, reconnect with old friends, and helped me become the person I am right now. Life is unexpected and senior year comes with a lot of endings, which I never fully understood until this year. I can confidently say that high school and (most of) the people you meet are temporary. I know I’ve said this a lot, but this really is truly the happiest I think I’ve ever felt in my entire high school career, which is super surprising considering everything that has happened. 

I especially wanted to thank all of my current and ex-friends. You have all shaped my high school experience in positive and sometimes negative ways, but it has helped me grow a lot. Without your support, I’m not sure I will be as successful as I am right now. For my old friends, I’ll always care about you no matter what happened between us. I’ll always be cheering you on from the sidelines (with some heavy resentment though) because we’ve been through so much together. I’ll always have negative feelings, but I’ll still forever cherish our memories and care for you at the same time.  

Some advice I have for underclassmen is don’t feel pressured to stick to one thing (or person). People grow apart during high school, and that’s completely normal. Try that new hobby, talk to that person you’ve always wanted to be friends with! Literally, nothing is stopping you, just take that risk. I never thought I would talk to some of the people I’m friends with right now and honestly, I didn’t even start talking to them until the end of the year when we just decided to go for it. 

This year has been a complete whirlwind, but I’m so grateful for everything because it led me to this moment. I thought I would be completely devastated as I close this chapter of my life, but I’m actually impatiently waiting to start college and be in a new environment. Four years ago, I was in the same position I am right now except now, I’m more than ready for the next part of my life and I can’t wait for what comes next.