Review: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Brandon Rodriguez

Senior Ian Nathan performs in his solo act, “Magic Foot”

Brandon Rodriguez

“Spell COW.” 

“C–O–W. Cow”

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a comedic musical and it made its debut on Friday, March 24 at 7pm in the Watkins Mill High School O’Shea Theater. 

This musical is by far, one of the funniest musicals I’ve seen here at Watkins Mill. This musical revolves around six quirky middle schoolers who are competing to get the top prize, a $200 grant for their studies.

“I loved the energy that was on stage. We have been rehearsing for a month now and we were all excited,” senior Jyline Carranza said. Carranza’s character, Olive Ostrovsky, is new to The Bee and her mother is in an ashram in India while her dad is simply working late.

There was definitely a lot of energy on stage. The choreography was very organized and enjoyable. I really felt a part of the show as the characters changed throughout the play, especially when there were songs. The characters became a part of the dances, making you forget that they have unique quirky characteristics.

“Opening night was so much fun. I enjoyed the high level of energy that was bounced around through each cast member on stage and the excitement of the audiences’ reactions,” freshman Taylor Leonard said. Leonard played the role of Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre. Leonard was excited because she “would’ve never dreamed of performing opening night in [her] freshmen year.”

Principal Carol Goddard was brought up on stage as a speller. The word that eliminated her? Lucozade: a British energy drink that contains A LOT of sugar. She gave up on the word and the bell dinged. She was sung off of the stage by the cast and she stole the show.

“I love musicals,” Goddard said. “I had a good time-it was festive and fun.”

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is definitely worth your while. It’s entertaining, funny and well cast. The pit orchestra and tech crew definitely did a great job with props, lighting and music.

Be sure to come out to the O’Shea Theater tonight at 7pm and tomorrow night at 7pm. Tickets are only $5 for students and senior citizens, and $10 for adults. You’ll definitely get a lot of laughs and sing along to catchy songs. So bring your friends and family out to watch The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee!