The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Winter Sports Feature

Obehi Eromosele
Winter sports begin with a bang!

November 15 marked the start of our winter sports season. The winter season includes boys’ and girls’ basketball, cheerleading, track and field, wrestling, poms, swimming, and diving. 

Here are some words from each of our winter sports teams.

Boys Basketball

Junior Hasaan Nazir looks forward to winning some games this season and going to regionals and states. He wants to average 17-20 points per game and ten assists. He hopes the basketball team will have a positive record this season and thinks they can go far.

Junior Robert Smith is also looking forward to some wins this season. “I’m ready to bring the defense,” Smith said.

Girls Basketball

This is junior Sharick Mejias’s second year as captain, and she is looking forward to the team playing “the best [they] can and keeping a positive mindset with [her] teammates and opponents,” Mejias said. She wants to build a better connection with each one of her teammates and win more than five games as a team.

Sophomore Kendyl Barrett wants to do better than last year by pushing herself out of her comfort zone and having fun with her teammates. As a captain, she wants the team to support each other on and off the court and push themselves to do their best. She’s excited to see what they can do with their new additions this season.

Sophomore Olivia Girard is also very excited for this season and what will come. Girard said, “[We] have some great new players that [I] think are going to help the team a lot.” Girard hopes this season will be better than last year and wants the team to finish with a winning record.

Cheerleading

Cheer captain junior Michell Baide looks forward to bonding more with her team. Baide enjoys cheering and hopes to be able to create more memories. Having been away from the team for two and a half weeks, Baide hopes to learn everything and return stronger than ever.

Senior Nithya Babu was excited about the pep rally. Her personal goals were to “improve in flexibility and jumps,” Babu said. She wishes her team to be “supportive, energetic, and have fun [while] doing it.”

Track and Field 

Junior Madison Medley is a heptathlon athlete who participates in the shot put, discus, hurdles, the 100-meter open, and the 200-meter relay. Medley looks forward to setting a new personal record for hurdles, shots, and discs. She continues to work towards a scholarship.

Senior Malick Sarr is looking forward to competing in events, hoping to get faster. He aims to break his records and aspires to reach regionals as a team. 

Senior Jibreel Frazier is looking forward to this season as he hopes to “make new friends, stronger bonds, and compete with other schools.” His goals for the season are to become faster and see everyone progress as the days pass.

Senior David Boley is looking forward to getting some wins, setting a new personal record, and competing at a higher and better level than he did last year. Boley hopes to show that he can play at the next level in both football and track and field.

Wrestling

Senior Nebi Tsarni is looking forward to seeing the improvement of the other wrestlers. As this may be her last year participating in wrestling, Tsarni wants to make the most of it with her team. “Some goals I have are to chase my third state title and sharpen up my skills for the off-season,” Tsarni said.

Junior Raiden Siapno looks forward to a great season as he aspires to learn more about the sport. Siapno’s self-goals are to wrestle and learn more about himself throughout the season.

Junior Nicholas Bissue looks forward to matches and seeing how many wins the team can get. Bissue’s personal goals are to improve from last season and excel in all his matches, win or lose. Bissue would like the wrestling team to place high in the county and tournaments to get more exposure and recognition.

POMS

Senior Timira Texas Obomah is “looking forward to [their] competitions.” Having been on the POMS team for all four years of high school, Obomah is “excited to be able to leave everything [she has] learned during [her] time on the team on the floor.” Her goal is to work hard to balance the long and complicated routines with school.

Senior Adanma Ezulike looks forward to performing at each competition this season. Ezulike goals are to become “a better and confident dancer” and for the team to “work on becoming closer and having better communication.”

Boys & Girls Swimming and Diving

Junior Jasmine Hyppolite’s goals for the season are to improve, learn new dives, and become a better diver and swimmer. As a captain, Jasmine looks forward to building a community with her team and seeing everyone improve throughout the season.

Senior Jarod Naulgan looks most forward to the other athletes’ performance and having good team spirit. As a captain, Naulgan wants to rise to the level and help his teammates improve at swimming. Naulgan hopes that everyone on the team can accomplish their own goals, whatever they may be.

Junior Andrew Hurt is looking forward to diving and flying through the air the most. Hurt hopes to be able to drop time in his events, mainly swimming relays, as he cheers the rest of his teammates on. During the season, Hurt wants to bond with his team and be able to pick each other up.

We look forward to seeing what our teams have in store this season!