The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

OLAS Compete in the 2023 MCPS Latin Dance Competition

Zoë Conroy
Principal Nájera and the Watkins Mill OLAS team take a picture at the end of the competition.

Watkins Mill High School’s Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS) Latin Dance Club won the 2023 Montgomery County Public Schools Latin Dance Competition’s Merengue category.  The competition, which took place on Monday, November 20, showcased the celebration of Latino and Hispanic culture through traditional cultural dances. 

A short video was played to highlight each school as they walked onto the stage. Schools competed in a whole group performance. In addition, several schools showcased couple performances, including the Chacha, Merengue, Bachata, and Salsa dances. There were also parent-student duets and random pairs of couples from each school who participated in the Jack and Jill category. This format was followed for both categories.

Being in OLAS means being part of a community that is always welcoming and fun. We all learn and grow together through dance,” freshman Evin Fernando said. 

Additionally, a total of 16 schools from Montgomery County participated, with nine competing in the junior category and seven in the senior category, all based on skill level.

The competition started at 6:30 pm, and Board member, Alan Bowser, made a welcoming speech. The event featured a performance by “Los Hermanos Galvan,” who were awarded “The Baila4Life Trawick Inspiration Award” for their community work. The dancing portion of the event began with the junior category, following a brief intermission, before continuing to the senior category. 

“OLAS…means having a second family. It really is my safe place to get away from everything else going on and to focus on something I love without distractions,” sophomore  Karla Torres said.   

In addition to Watkins Mill’s OLAS team’s award, principal Vilma C. Najera was awarded “The Baila4Life Administrator Award” because of her commitment to promoting and supporting students’ expression of dance.  

“Last year was my first year and I did not know what I was getting myself into, but now I am all in. I have learned a lot and I’m already making plans for next year. We did so much better than last year, we are going to win everything… we are totally winning everything! It is a season of rebuilding,” OLAS Sponsor Melissa Cloyd said.