The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Thrifty Threads is back once again!

Adwoa Obeng
Reczone’s Thrifty Threads is back in action for another year.

“What are you wearing tomorrow?”

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll check out Thrifty Threads after school.”

Run by Reczone, which is an afterschool recreational program held in the cafeteria from Monday to Thursday, Thrifty Threads is an opportunity for students to freshen their wardrobes without breaking the bank. 

This is Reczone’s second year hosting Thrifty Threads. Last November, former Reczone supervisor Elijah Davis had the idea of bringing thrift stores into the afterschool program. As a self-described big thrift guy, he looked to incorporate that with Reczone, later creating Thrifty Threads. 

Entrusted to Lazo, who also shares a passion for thrifting, Thrifty Threads became “a program where a variety of clothing [is offered],” Lazo said. For “people [that are] still trying to figure out what their style is and what they like.”

Thrifty Threads is held every Thursday after school with Reczone from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm. 

Reczone is looking for students to help sort the clothes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and students to run the shop on Thursdays. As students engage in things like folding, organizing, checking out, and hanging up clothes, Lazo said, “[It’s] like a small retail job.”

Everyone who comes will get two tickets per visit. Students can get more tickets by donating clothes. One piece of clothing equals one ticket. Reczone is accepting hats, tops, jewelry, and pants. Any other piece of clothing can be discussed at Reczone with Lazo. Students who donate can also receive SSL hours rather than tickets; one SSL hour per donation.

Reczone is also looking for some kids to promote the program by wearing and modeling clothes. They are hoping to get people’s inside view of fashion.

So, as Lazo said, come on down and “help bring a little bit of fun and fashion” to the school.