The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

School Lunch

Michelle Batres
Tejan shares his opinion about lunch lines and school food.

I’m sure any kid who goes to Watkins Mill prefers starving to waiting in the lunch line.

You’d think making it to the front of the line would make up for the HOURS you spent standing but nope! You gotta chow down on unflavored mashed potatoes.

To be completely real, school lunch isn’t THAT bad. It’s not okay to say it’s mom’s cooking, but there are definitely some times when I’d happily munch on a slice of pizza.

If there’s anything Watkins Mill should be known for, it’s that stuffed-crust cheese pizza! I’d take that over Domino’s (also known as DomiNO) any day because there’s no way I’m eating anything from that restaurant!

Back in elementary school, we had hash-browns that smiled at you! Middle school was even better with those curly fries. The best part about lunchtime back then was the intense, complex, and intricate trading systems we intellectual middle schoolers created.

You don’t understand the amount of power a middle-schooler held on nacho Tuesday. If they were the first in line and got the freshest batch, they won!

There were kids trading their mom’s freshly made home-cooked dinners and janitors bartering their grandma’s most secret recipes! I’m sure any reasonable teacher would raise little Timmy’s algebra grade just for a singular bite.

The hierarchy in the school on Nacho Tuesday went:

1. The kid with the nachos
2. Literally everyone else

This, unfortunately, isn’t the case anymore in high school. While the nachos are still good, people can simply order food now. This completely breaks the game. The school’s nachos can’t compete with taco bells (maybe Montgomery Village Middle School’s could).

It would be discourteous if I didn’t mention Watkins Mill’s lunch staff. They get no credit for feeding more than half the school. I mean, do any of us even know their names?

So I’d like to end this column with a thank you to all the lunch ladies giving me free food and the ones in the back. We appreciate you.