The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Hispanic heritage month assembly

Hispanic+Heritage+Month+celebration+showcased+culture%2C+music%2C+and+a+diverse+community.+
Huswat Olajide
Hispanic Heritage Month celebration showcased culture, music, and a diverse community.

Hispanic Heritage Month concluded with a spirited live music event on October 5 that featured food trucks offering delicious menu options including pupusas and snowcones. The celebratory month started on September 15 and is ending on October 15, offering time to properly recognize and honor the significant contributions Hispanic and Latino Americans have made to the United States. 

During the event, students walked out with flags representing different Spanish-speaking countries which added a nice touch, it invited participants to showcase their country’s flags proudly. Watkins Mill High School students came together and danced with their friends while enjoying the wonderful music and food. 

The school also organized a spirit week from Oct 2 to Oct 6 that a lot of students participated in, making it a memorable occasion leading to the assembly.

The highlight of the festivities was the annual Hispanic Heritage Month assembly held on October 13 in the auditorium. The WMHS marching band and color guard graced the stage with their performance, joined by the talented chamber singers who were accompanied by students from Montgomery Village Middle School. The event also featured a captivating cultural attire fashion show and a showcase of elegant quinceañera dresses. The audience was treated to a lovely dance performance from Jose Ortiz Garcia and Kalet Vasquez, along with a singing performance from Josue Suriano, making it an enchanting celebration of Hispanic heritage. 

It was great to see students and staff engaged in the school festivities!