Senior Reflection: Aisha Sowe

Associate Editor Aisha Sowe reflects on her journey through newspaper and high school

Aisha Sowe, Associate Editor

The phrase “time flies by fast” is a true statement. Looking back, I thought four years of high school would be super slow, but in the end, it went by really quick.

My time at Watkins Mill has been memorable, from meeting new people to joining different clubs. I will admit that I have completely changed since walking through those doors. Believe it or not, I was a lot less quiet than I am now, but at the same time, I was still figuring out the next four years of my life.

But one major change that I do not regret is taking Journalism! Ever since I joined Newspaper in my sophomore year, writing has become something that I’m good at and truly enjoy.

I’ve always wanted to join a school newspaper just because of what I saw in movies and TV shows. Just seeing people pass out print newspapers and carrying a microphone everywhere was something I wanted to experience. Even though our newspaper is online, that still didn’t change my mind about joining it.

On the first day of my sophomore year, I met Mrs. Confino! At the time, I didn’t know her at all compared to everyone else in class. I honestly didn’t even know she taught this class. As time went on, I got to know her as both a teacher and a person and enjoyed being in her class.

When second semester started, I eventually started to write articles that were being published. Confino would always compliment my writing and it always gave me the motivation to continue working hard. She then encouraged me to apply for a managing position for the following year and without hesitation, I did.

I went from Features Managing Editor to Associate Editor as I continued to write for the newspaper. I learned that writing is a way that I get to express myself freely through words. As someone who is really quiet and shy, writing is another way to use my voice when I felt like I wasn’t heard enough.

Not only was writing a way to help let out my own voice, but others’ as well. One of my favorite articles I’ve written was about science teacher Mrs. Wilkinson and her journey with breast cancer. The reason why I love this article is because of how she got to express her opinions about how she was able to continue teaching. The article was well received by many staff and students at our school, including Ms. Goddard.

Because of Mrs. Confino, The Current, my family, friends, and all the compliments I have received on my writing, I figured out that I wanted to pursue a career in journalism. I was able to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people, sought advice on what to study in college, and even started looking for writing opportunities for the future.

I feel like this is the right time for me to say, thank you. Thank you to my family for supporting me and my parents for dropping me off at school to allow me to get an education and attend my favorite classes, including journalism. I love you guys!

Thank you to the friends, classmates, and teachers who have read my articles and showed appreciation for them. Thank you for also being there for me to help with homework or just to listen to what’s going on in my life.

Thank you to my counselor,  Ms. Wojtyna for helping me with registering for classes, college, and handing out lollipops every year for my birthday. Without her, I wouldn’t have written this article. 

Thank you to the staff at The Current who inspire me to continue working hard and for helping with articles. I have nothing but best wishes for you all.

Lastly, I’d like to thank Mrs. Confino. Without your support and guidance, I wouldn’t be able to continue with writing. You’re the reason why I enjoy it and why I want to go into journalism later in life. I never gave up because of the motivation that you gave me to continue doing what I love. I will truly miss being in your class.

A lesson I learned when I first started high school that had recently struck me was that the same people you were once friends with in the beginning of high school might not be your friends once you graduate. Surprisingly, I made friends on my own and drifted from friends that I never thought of. It was hard at first to accept the truth, but it’s part of life.

Senior year was definitely a stressful year for me and for probably every other senior reading this (don’t let people say otherwise). But in the end, I accomplished many achievements that I am proud of. There were times when I felt discouraged or wanted to give up, but that didn’t stop me from reaching my goals.

Although I will be graduating high school and leaving The Current, this isn’t the last time you will see my work. 😉