Senior Reflection: Bianca Johnson

Associate Editor Bianca Johnson reflects on her high school experience.

Bianca Johnson, Associate Editor

Wow, so this is the end. You wouldn’t believe it but I’ve actually been waiting for this moment since 6th grade– yeah, I’ve had senioritis for a while now. School never really excited me, in fact, it always seemed like something I needed to check off the box before becoming a valuable citizen of society, but that’s not true. I’ve found that over the years that your knowledge can’t be based off a test score or a semester grade.

In my opinion, knowledge can’t be measured at all because there isn’t a universal style of knowledge. One person may be rich in musical history, while maybe another knows every stat of each player on the Barcelona soccer team. Both of those people may score terribly on the SAT but does that make them dumb? No, but I’ve always hated how school brainwashes students into thinking they must score a certain way to have a successful career. It’s a joke.

My message for the Watkins Mill community is to fight the norm. Push against the wave of what’s ‘advised’ and make your own story, change your mind and change it again. Keep changing and never stop growing. Know that school doesn’t have to be for everyone, and that doesn’t make you lazy or dumb, it makes you brave, because you’re willing to take a different path from your peers to find your own happiness.

For all you Newspaper/Journalism kids out there, keep writing. Writing was always a healthy way for me to release stress. I’m so glad I joined the newspaper and explored my love for writing. I could improve and share my work with a broader community, giving it more value.

I have stressed and worked my butt off these past four years, taking AP, IB and maintaining honor roll. Don’t get me wrong, I had plenty of fun too, but there were many sleepless nights and anxiety-induced stomachaches. I’m proud of the person I have become and I’m definitely different from not-so-little ninth grade Bianca; I’m 5’9 now.

A special thanks to Mrs. Confino, Mrs. Pearce, Mrs. Anders, and Ms. Shaw. You guys have helped me in unimaginable ways, from college to social life. You guys have really been there through it all and I really appreciate your patience and investment in my success. Even though my high school experience hasn’t been typical, it certainly was memorable.