Watkins Mill students playing in the Montgomery Village Community Band

Flyer for the most recent Montgomery Village concert

Aisha Sowe

Aisha Sowe

Aisha Sowe, Associate Editor

Three Watkins Mill students have the opportunity to perform with the Montgomery Village Community Band. Their most recent concert was on October 28 at the Lake Marion Community Center.

The Montgomery Village Community Band was founded by the Montgomery Village Foundation.  Director Steven Wampler has been working with senior Cathy Vargas, sophomore James Warren and junior McKayla Roa in college-level music. Concerts are held Sunday afternoons every two months. The most recent one was Halloween-themed to match the October spirit.

“Rehearsals are important to prepare the music, but they’re also fun,” music teacher Peter Kielar said. The students rehearse in Kielar’s room, T006, every third Wednesday of the month and rehearse at the Stedwick Community Center on other Wednesdays.

Vargas has been performing with the band since last year and plays the bassoon. Overall, she enjoys the vibe. “When it comes to performing I enjoy it a lot… I don’t get shy,” Vargas said.

Warren and Roa are part of the percussion group of the band. Warren plays the timpani and Roa plays the gong and bells. Last Sunday was their first time performing with the group. “[Being in the band] feels very great. I’m able to boost my confidence,” Roa said, who looked forward to dressing up in her costume.

“Every performance opportunity offers unique challenges and benefits to a person and their growth as a musician,” Kielar added. Vargas wants to become a music performer and plans to go on bigger and professional ensembles. Roa is interested in pursuing a career in music and becoming a music teacher.

“[Performing in a musical group] is nice, knowing that I’m doing something that a lot of other people aren’t doing,” Warren said. Students who are above a ninth-grade playing level can try out if they are interested.

“Students who have taken band class for at least a year and who are highly motivated practice all the time, and are not busy with extracurricular activities,” Kielar added. “I suggest try out joining the community band.”

About the Writer
Aisha Sowe, Associate Editor

Aisha Sowe is a senior and an Associate Editor for The Current.  Aisha has been writing articles for the school newspaper since her sophomore year. After high school, Aisha would like to attend college in the Mid-Atlantic region and is interested in either studying journalism or liberal arts. She would also like to travel to Europe and Africa someday after college.