Mill Madness combines spirit, Orange Nation dance party tonight

Jessica Cruz and Je'Nan Hayes

We’ve got spirit, yes we do!  We’ve got spirit, how ’bout YOU?  

Help boost school spirit and start your school year off with a bang by coming out to Mill Madness tonight at 6:30pm.

“I would love to see our students come out and just have a good night,” science teacher and Orange Nation founder Matt Johnson said. “We enjoy doing events that bring everyone together, and give everyone something safe and fun to do on a weeknight.” In addition to Watkins Mill students and staff, parents are also welcome to attend.

The goal of Mill Madness is to boost school spirit, while celebrating fall varsity athletes and performance groups. It is a crossover between a pep rally and a Homecoming dance. Johnson got the idea from the University of Maryland’s Midnight Madness events.

In order to attend, students must buy a wristband in the mixing bowl for one dollar. Tickets can also be purchased at the door, but the price then goes up to $3. There will be a spirit competition and chances to win Chipotle gift cards and Orange Nation gear.

Students love the “great people, good music and high spirits,” senior Aaron Merlos said. Staff and students hope that this year’s Mill Madness will bring a new level of pride and excitement for all who come.

Everyone who attends Mill Madness will get a chance to see a small sneak peek of what is to be expected from fall varsity athletes and performance groups. Along with sports and performance groups, there will be a live DJ and a glowstick dance party.  As an additional incentive, students will be able to compete to hit administrators in the face with pies.  

This fun event would not be possible without the support and participation of Orange Nation. One of the most important aspects of Mill Madness is,“the amount of people that show up,” junior Leyla Mendez added. This will be a night to remember, so don’t miss out!