Wolverines Outdoor Track enter postseason, hosting Montgomery County Championships

Carol Goddard

Track meet from Wednesday, May 10.

Watkins Mill Wolverines Boys and Girls Outdoor Track brought their regular season to a close and prepared for the postseason in Montgomery County Championships yesterday, May 10 after another great performance from our student athletes.

The team traveled out to Sherwood High School for the 31st Katie Jenkins Invitational on May 6. That Saturday morning the wolverines traveled to Olney racing in honor of Katie Jenkins, the late track coach from Sherwood. Although the track wasn’t all they expected, it still gave them the preparation needed for county championships.

April fools was no trick for our boys and girls in blue as they started their Saturday morning away at the Quince Orchard relays, getting a chance to redeem themselves from their first meet. The Cougars were not afraid of racing with the Wolverines but didn’t shy away from competition from them and outer-county schools.

On March 28 the Wolverines competed with long time rivals Clarksburg Coyotes at home. Senior Nathaniel Vault got first place in the 400 meter, inspiring runners to secure high spots along with them.

In his third year of head coaching here at the Mill, Bryant Adams continues to encourage new comers into running track. Taking in young and inexperienced students and helping them become well-rounded athletes for their school in each event they participate in.

This season has been a promising one for the team. There’s already been personal records within the team such as senior thrower Connor George setting a new personal record at 110 feet.

The Wolverines kicked off their season with an amazing win at the ninth annual Screamin’ Eagle invitational. The girls started where they left off in the indoor season getting first place in the 4×1 led by senior captain Rhoda Miller. Also sophomores Jada Sobratti and Nana Tutu both ran strong in the girls 200 meter dash.

Lady Wolverines track are already used to their success, maintaining the same team from indoor track of Rhoda Miller, Daija Harper, Nana Tutu, and new comer Jada Sobratti. Tutu said, “coming to practice everyday and doing what coach says” has been a reason for success for them.

At the Quince Orchard Invitational, the boys won all relays against QO and Damascus. The girls showed off their speed won the 4×1 and the 4×2 relay races. Adding on to their spectacular relay, there were some amazing throws from senior Connor George and junior Aaron Merlos.

“We are as prepared as we can be,” Tutu added. The girls are ranked one and two in the 4×1 and 4×2 in relays.