PTSA-Booster Club scholarships offer quick college cash with only one application

Front cover of the application for the scholarships.

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Sarah Elbeshbishi

Seniors will be able to apply for several scholarships before spring break, requiring no transcript or recommendation letters. Applications are due by Wednesday, April 5 in the College/Career Center at no later than 3pm.

“There are a number of scholarships available for Watkins Mill HS seniors…The good news is students need to submit only one application,” scholarship committee chair Enas Elhanafi said.

The PTSA-Booster Club Scholarship gives Watkins Mill High School seniors an opportunity to apply to roughly 20 different scholarship opportunities. Any senior can apply, but only if he or she is a member of the Booster Club. Seniors can sign up at http://wmhsboosters.com to be eligible to apply.

“The purpose of PTSA-Booster Club scholarships is to recognize WMHS graduating seniors for their contribution of service, leadership, academic achievement and involvement,” Elhanafi added. With only one application students will be considered for several scholarships.

“Doesn’t everybody need money to go to school? [The scholarship] would help [students] raise more money,” principal Carol Goddard said.

One third of applications are not accepted because students are not members of the PTSA, but seniors can sign up any time before the application due date to prevent that. This scholarship application requires no recommendation letters or transcript and only asks two written questions, both of which are less than 500 words.

“The application process is very easy, only one simple application. The application consists of listing achievements, extra-curriculars, service, and anything else they would like us to know,” Elhanafi added. “They are also only two written questions that we require from the students.”

PTSA-Booster Club Scholarship application is available online and in the College/Career Center. A committee will review the applications they have received anonymously, basing the scholarships only on the applications. The scholarships will be awarded during awards night on Thursday, May 25.

“We are proud to offer our annual scholarship to the school’s seniors and we encourage eligible students to apply,” Elhanafi said. “We are pleased to continue this tradition of commitment to education in our community, through the generosity of the school, parents and the community donors.”