Seniors face Staff again, look for another win

Destiny Tiburcio

This year Watkins Mill High School continues with an exciting tradition: the senior vs. staff basketball game. In this game boys and girls of the senior class play against teachers in a friendly–yet competitive–game of basketball.

These annual games are greatly anticipated by both seniors and staff. History teacher Matthew Quinn is one of the teachers participating in the game this year. “I enjoy competing and seeing everyone out there and it is always good to see the students outside of class,” Quinn said.

This year the game is on Thursday, April 20, and for the very first time, we will have science teacher Matt Johnson providing live commentary throughout the game. Johnson believes the senior vs. staff game is a great way for the students and teachers to let off some heat.

“I like seeing the rivalry between the staff and the students, [teachers] get to take out some of their frustration with these slacking seniors and the seniors get to take out their frustrations from all that hard work we put them through,” Johnson added.

2015 was the first time in Watkins Mill history that the seniors won the game against the staff and senior basketball captain Kareling Portillo is very confident that it will happen again this year. Students will definitely win because we have a lot of good players. It’ll be a lot of fun,” Portillo said. She’s also excited to be playing against the basketball coaches because, “[they] have all played before, so they know what they are doing.”

Previous games have been known to cause some competition between the students and the staff. “[Students] will usually try to come up to me before the game and try to talk some smack,” Quinn added.

Johnson is very excited to be on the mic for the game and looks forward to bringing energy and excitement to the crowd. “I think the action between the seniors and the staff is pretty entertaining. It got pretty intense and rough last year.” Johnson said.

The game starts at 7pm and it is only $1 to get in, so make sure to show your support for your fellow ‘Rines!