The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

PE teacher Richard Riley takes on softball coach job, looks to help team improve

Lucas Richards and Thomas Dawson

Starting off their new season, the varsity softball team introduced one of the physical education and health teachers, Richard Riley, as its new coach to lead the ‘Rines to victory.

As the new season approaches, many players would like to see improvements as a team. The squad is looking to improve communication throughout practice and when going over drills. “I want Riley to actually demonstrate what’s happening and to show us what to do, so we can work as a team,” sophomore Jamie Carmichael said.

As a former junior varsity player looking to move up to varsity, junior Christina Cordero knows it will be a different learning process. “Having a new coach, you never know what it is like. It will be a new style for all of us,” Cordero said.

Riley has planned many drills and has new ideas for the softball team. He wants the group to improve individually and as a team. Riley plans on having more inter squad scrimmages to see where everyone is most comfortable.

Riley believes that the softball team is very young and talented. “I [became] the softball coach because I like new challenges,” Riley said. “I believe that with [practice] and teamwork, that it will be a successful season. The only goal I want to achieve this season is to get better each game.”

The players think that more communication on and off the field will help the team to succeed. “I want everyone to have more communication as a team. I hope everyone can come and work together as a team instead of playing for themselves,” Cordero said.

“I am excited that Mr. Riley is the coach,” Carmichael added. “We needed a change. Hopefully, he will make us have a better understanding of the game. He likes to get things done.”

There are a lot of returning players so hopefully Riley’s practice strategies will pay off. If Riley is successful on creating a sense of unity in the team and coming up with more diverse game plans and practice strategies, the girls have a chance at a becoming a better team overall.

print

1 Comment

One Response to “PE teacher Richard Riley takes on softball coach job, looks to help team improve”

1. Matt Johnson on February 28th, 2017 8:56 pm

Nice work gentlemen! Go Ladies and Coach Riley!

[Reply]