Career center brings in new face

Samantha Naya

College and career center coordinator Catherine Heald in her new Watkins Mill office

Getting into an Ivy League school is no small feat, but with a superhero by your side, the Ivies will seem a few steps closer.

Watkins Mill’s new college/career coordinator (CCIC), Catherine Heald, has arrived. She is ready to work with you and get you into the college of your dreams.

Heald may be new to our school, but she has been working for Montgomery County Public Schools for ten years and attended school in Montgomery County. She attended Woodward High School, which later merged into Walter Johnson. She went on to the University of Maryland where she studied marketing and majored in business.

Heald decided to work here as the CCIC when she learned her previous job as a data analyst was being cut by MCPS. She did this for 20 years until she decided that she wanted to take summers off to spend more time with her daughter.

“I had to look for a new job but I did not want to wait until the end of the year,” Heald said.

“I had actually worked at two other schools before coming here,” Heald said. Previously she worked at Tilden Middle School and Cabin John Middle School before coming to Watkins Mill.

Since there are 140 positions being cut, Heald secured her job at the Mill quickly because she was afraid that she, along with her colleagues, would be looking for the same job, “I also wanted this position so I could work with kids,” Heald added.

“Although it is hard to leave a place you are comfortable with I’m having a great time here, everyone has been so nice and friendly to me and I feel very welcome,” Heald said.

As the school’s CCIC, Heald is qualified to assist students with possible career decisions, colleges, career exploration, and college recruitment among many other things. So drop by, she does not bite.

When she is not working, Heald likes to spend time with her 16-year-old daughter who attends Walter Johnson High School. “When you are 16 you would rather be with your friends than your mother so I try and hang out with her if she lets me,” Heald added. She also enjoys watching Netflix with her dog.

Heald hopes to attend the class of 2017 graduation this year. “I like working directly with [the] students,” Heald said. Seeing the students off onto the next step in their lives is an obvious interest of hers.