Pitch perfect: autism proves no obstacle to music student

Chase Deist and Lenox Kamara

Being a special needs student often creates its own set of challenges, but pitch isn’t one of those for sophomore Segun Olorunyomi.

Music teacher Rodney Long recently discovered that Olorunyomi has advanced pitch identification abilities. Olorunyomi has been a student of Long’s since freshman year and finds joy in working with his fellow classmates. “[I like] learning with a teacher and sing as part of a group,” Olorunyomi said.

Perfect pitch is the ability to identify various notes and chords just by hearing them. Olorunyomi’s ability is naturally enhanced due to the fact that he has autism. “I started singing in like 2014… It comes naturally,” Olorunyomi said. “It’s very enjoyable.”

Along with being a member of the Autism Resource Services program at Watkins Mill, he is also part of “Men of The Mill,” an all-male singing group here at the Mill.

“I’ve worked with students with autism before,” Long said.  “It’s quite common for students [with autism] to be naturally musically inclined.”  Long added that Olorunyomi really likes getting high fives and other positive feedback and joked that his only disability is with the guitar.

“You should never judge a book by it’s cover,” said sophomore Kwame Lawson-Gray, who is in “Men of The Mill” with Olorunyomi.  “My first impression of [Olorunyomi] was [that] he’s very funny, energetic yet chill all at the same time. He loves music and you can see that in rehearsals.” Lawson-Gray said he was speechless when he heard Olorunyomi practicing pitches.

With his perfect pitch, Olorunyomi plans to move onto college after he graduates Watkins Mill in 2018. “[I want to study music,] but I don’t know what college,” he added.