The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

A Guide to 90’s Fashion- Do’s and Don’ts

Huswat Olajide
Angela dives into the do’s and don’t when it come to 90’s fashion.

In the past few years, 90’s fashion has been making a comeback. However, just because we are feeling nostalgic doesn’t mean we have to repeat the same fashion atrocities. Here is my guide to making or breaking 90’s fashion. 

• Do:

Flannels have always been a stylish choice. They’re comfy, cute, and cheap (not as cheap as it was in the 90s, but that’s inflation for ya!). You can really channel your inner Kurt Cobain and that alternative rock vibe.  

• Don’t:

Thin eyebrows. For the love of God, please, no. Have you ever wondered why so many millennials don’t have eyebrows? Yeah, let’s keep it that way. If you care about your hair follicles…please don’t voluntarily give yourself alopecia. 

• Do:

Lip liner! Remember the glory days of brown lipliner? They’re the perfect solution for the two-tone girlies, and it’s just cute! It’s the perfect way to emulate your favorite 90s icons like Janet Jackson and Beyonce. Disclaimer- not suited with light lipstick!!!

• Don’t:

Zigzag headbands! Part two of the at-home alopecia kit. As cute as these headbands are, they are painful and impossible to get out of your head! Legends say that there are still millennials with those headbands trapped at the back of their scalps. 

• Do:

Doc Martens. These shoes are truly timeless. The 90s were definitely onto something! They’re the perfect stylistic choice for the fall and winter and can be paired with any outfit. (WARNING- these are also not as cheap as they were in the 90s… it’d be best just to find dupes and knockoffs.)

• Don’t:

Bleached tips. Who on earth came up with this trend, and why was it so big? Just because NSYNC is having a comeback doesn’t mean this style should too. It’s very 90s but not in a good way. 

• Don’t:

Clumpy Eyelashes- I know lashes are the current trend right now. But for the girls who wear mascara, please don’t layer it to the point of clumps! No one wants to be jump scared by the spider lashes. Remember, a little goes a long way.  

• Don’t:

Low-rise jeans and exposed underwear- This is pretty self-explanatory. Keep your underwear to yourself.  Just because you’ve seen it doesn’t mean we have to see it. Thank you.  

In the end, remember that these are my opinions and are only highly recommended suggestions. Dress the way you want, and be confident!