The student news site of Watkins Mill High School

Gender and Sexuality Alliance Summit

Northwood+High+School+hosts+the+Gender+and+Sexuality+Alliance+Summit.+
Michelle Batres
Northwood High School hosts the Gender and Sexuality Alliance Summit.

On October 25, 2023, the Rainbow Rines set out on a field trip that will mark a new tradition for all members of the LGBTQIA+ community. 

Northwood High School hosted the first-ever Gender and Sexuality Alliance Summit (GSA). Schools across the county, ranging from middle schools like Takoma Park to Poolesville High School, were in attendance. A total of eight schools took part in the summit. 

Upon arrival, we were moved into the lobby to check our names off a guest list, collecting snacks and welcome gifts. Afterward, students were ushered into the auditorium, where the summit occurred.

The summit began with an opening statement from Gretchen Gilmore, a senior from Northwood High School. Her opening statement was followed by a moving speech from the principal of Wootton High School, Douglass Nelson. He spoke on the importance of representation of the LGBTQIA+ community and how his upbringing as a gay boy in high school changed him forever. 

“This was such a heartwarming day. I wish that as a kid, there were events like these to have shown me it was okay to be exactly who I was,” said Instructional Specialist Astor Yael. “I’m really proud to be part of a county that prioritizes supporting our LGBTQIA+ students so that they can thrive.”

After, we got the opportunity to know each other. We played an LGBTQIA+ version of bingo where important community members acted as the markers on the bingo board. Once this was finished, we completed a Peardeck where we shared our opinions on different topics within the community. The final activity allowed students to walk to other areas in the auditorium and speak to one another. 

During this time, I heard many compelling stories from different students. Multiple students spoke on how coming out affected their lives. Others talked about how their culture and religion changed after coming out. As a straight man, I couldn’t relate to many of the stories until I came across Leo. 

Leo Brooks is a Black and Mexican young man who spoke on his experience of being both a minority and a transgender young man, and quite frankly, it shocked me.

“I have to be aware of the fact that people are not going to look at me the same. People are not going to trust me the same. It’s something that’s made me hesitate medically transitioning,” said Brooks. “Not only am I a young black man, but I’m also putting the trans label on top of that, I am a minority of a minority.”

Up until that point, I had never thought of it like that. I could never have imagined knowing the struggles of being a minority and adding even more opposition. However, the more Brooks spoke, the more I could feel myself getting a better understanding of him. Although we come from completely different backgrounds, by the end of our interview, I can truly say that I don’t see him differently from anyone else around me. 

There’s a lot of hate in the world, and quite a bit of it goes to people within the LGBTQIA+ community. However, when I listened to the stories of my peers speaking, I just couldn’t understand where that hatred could come from.

Overall, the experience was great, coming from someone outside the community. We ended the day with food and a prize from raffles. I would attend this event again in a heartbeat.

Special thanks to Northwood science teacher Mr. Max Firke, GSA and MoCo Pride Youth advisors, and Director of Student Leadership, Mrs. Shella Cherry, for planning the event. For all who are interested, they are planning another one for the spring. Hope to see you there!