Vintage carnival arrives for one night only, provides exciting prom theme

Lenox Kamara

Ribbons dry with puffy paint soon to be tied onto lollipops.

Step right up, the vintage carnival is in town for one night only, May 13!

This year’s prom theme is vintage carnival and tickets are on sale now. Clown around with friends or spin around on the classic carousel at Glen Echo Park, for only $50.

The class of 2017 came together after their big Homecoming hall win to create the theme of a vintage carnival for this year’s prom. The venue was their first big step in the planning. “We wanted something different,” junior Jessica Burgos said.  “In the past 12 years, we’ve been at the same venue and it’s just getting old. A change of scenery would be nice.” Many students over the years have complained about the lack of creativity or the venue.

This year, the juniors wanted to make prom more affordable for the average senior.“[We] decided to lower ticket prices,” junior class vice president Bernadette Nwoye said.  Prom “should be lit this year, for everyone.” 

As usual, the ending of the year is bittersweet for the seniors. “Prom is the final celebration of high school love and togetherness,” junior class sponsor and prom coordinator Sonya Shpilyuk said. “It should be exciting and festive and should be a little nostalgic.” 

Prom is the final celebration of high school love and togetherness.

— Junior class sponsor Sonya Shpilyuk

Prom is a nice way to reflect the high school years with your class.  “The juniors are being more vocal about prom and they’ve invited us to meetings,” senior Sandra Bazubwabo said. “I feel like the juniors last year didn’t do that.”

To make prom even more accessible, Shpilyuk decided to charge less than previous years, and switching from a corporate hotel venue to a local venue allowed her to do that.

Although the junior class has invested hours of work planning the prom, there are still mixed reactions of the theme and the location. In a recent poll conducted by The Current on Twitter, 42 percent of students said that they were going to prom for sure, 31 percent were “not sure” and finally 27 percent said “no way.”

“I think the hardest part for the junior class is trying to get people hooked on to the carnival theme,” junior Jyline Carranza added. “It doesn’t sound like a typical prom theme, so not a lot of people are hooked on it.” The goal of prom is to go out with a bang, and the juniors who are planning it this year are definitely on the right track.