Algebra 2 students passing rate soars to 93 percent, among highest in MCPS

Watkins Mills Algebra 2 students currently have one of the highest passing rates in Montgomery County.

Watkins Mill’s Algebra 2 students currently have one of the highest passing rates in Montgomery County.

Harris Malik and Saul Flores

Watkins Mill High School students had one of the highest passing rates for first semester Algebra 2 in the county. The Algebra 2 students have made a huge improvement compared to last year.

The Algebra 2 students demonstrated a 93 percent passing rate for all students in the first semester. In the first semester last year, Algebra 2 students had about a 67 percent passing rate, meaning that students did 26 percent better than last year.

“We were second in the county in all subgroups,” principal Carol Goddard said. Watkins Mill is one of the most diverse schools in the entire county, however, being a majority minority school had no impact on this improvement, showing a definite stride toward closing the achievement gap. ”We are 43 percent Latino, 38 percent African American, about 10 percent white, and the rest are multi race, and we have two other [Native Americans],” Goddard added.

The Montgomery County Algebra 2 curriculum is brand new and different than last year. “I like the new curriculum,” mathematics teacher Linda Stubbs said.  Stubbs added that the students seem to be thriving under the new curriculum, which provides the teachers with new materials that they didn’t have last year.

Contributing to the increase of students passing Algebra 2 was “good teaching, [and] good planning,”  Goddard said. The Algebra 2 teachers plan together and each of them takes turns planning the lessons for the following week. The planning makes it easier for them because it goes through a cycle.

My teacher gives us homework every night.

— Freshman Josephine Oshagbemi

“My teacher gives us homework every night,” freshman Josephine Oshagbemi said. Oshagbemi is one of the students included in the 93 percent passing rate. The teachers give homework every night so the students can practice using the material that they have learned.

“[The teachers are] usually there in the morning or lunch, and I go to her anytime and ask her for help,” Oshaghomi added. This accessibility and desire to help all students achieve was definitely a contributing factor toward the improvement in the passing rate. 

“I think a lot of students’ grades are better, because they do come in and get that one-on-one or just a few students and one teacher help,” Stubbs added.