Class Council 2025 organizes the annual powderpuff game for spring 2023

Olivier Payen

Powderpuff cheerleaders performed at the 2023 powderpuff game organized by the Class Council 2025.

Watkins Mill High School hosted the powderpuff football game on April 18, 2023, where the seniors and freshman girls faced off against the juniors and sophomores. The guys of each grade volunteered to be cheerleaders for the annual tradition.

“The turnout was pretty good,” sophomore and co-organizer Gracia Yahouedeou said.

The Class Council 2025 organized the powderpuff game by setting budgets, finding coaches, and making flyers and posts on social media. They distributed a Google form for interested players and recruited guys who wanted to join and have fun to be cheerleaders.

“It was fun, nice seeing other players actively having fun,” sophomore and co-organizer, Somtochukwu Nwokoye said.

“We started planning a month before to have everything set up and prepared before the day,” sophomore and volunteer Priscilla Addobea-Saakodee added.

Despite a lower turnout than in the past, participants and spectators still had fun and brought their best effort to the day. A recently-founded school spirit club called The Mill, significantly helped with bringing more school spirit to the week leading up to the powderpuff game.

“We did pretty good with our performance,” junior and head powderpuff cheerleader Kyle Delarosa said.

In the end, the senior-freshman vs. junior-sophomore game ended with a 7-7 tie, yet everyone seemed to be happy with their teams’ performance. The money that the powderpuff game raised will go towards future Class of 2025 events like prom.

“I recommend that anyone comes to help or play next year. It’s fun,” sophomore and volunteer Lujala Ranjit said.

If you’re interested in participating in next year’s event, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Class Council 2026. 

“I added in some ideas, [such as] the idea to use a whistle for the cheerleader,” sophomore and cheerleader Charles Ancheta added.