Sports Wrap-Up: March 20-24

Boys Lacrosse faced off against the Magruder Colonels and showed sportsmanship.

The 2023 spring sports season began on Tuesday, March 21. The Watkins Mill baseball, softball, tennis, volleyball, lacrosse, and track & field teams have been training for the past three weeks to fight hard for the championships this season.

Disclaimer: All games today, March 24, were postponed due to weather. The new dates will be posted when they become available.

Track & Field

The ‘Rines traveled to the home of Northwest Jaguars for their first meet of the season against the Jaguars and the Hornets of Damascus.

14 ‘Rines placed in the top three of their respective events. Congratulations to all of the ‘Rines who competed in the meet.

• Freshman Dynasty Brackenridge finished in third place in the 200 meter dash.
  • Sophomore Samuel Koiwood won the 200 meter dash and finished in second place in the 100 meter dash.
  • Sophomore Hasaan Nazir finished in third place in the triple jump.
  • Sophomore Madison Medley won the discus and finished in third place in the shot put.
  • Sophomore Seti Ouelega finished in second place in the 100 meter dash.
  • Sophomore Sharick Mejias finished in third place in the high jump.
  • Junior Kamar Sutherland won the 110 meter hurdles and finished in third place in the 300 meter hurdles.
  • Junior Zenoah Colleymore finished in third place in the 400 meter dash.
  • Junior Lauren Wright won the 100 meter hurdles.
  • Junior Rina Nasser finished in second place in the 100 meter hurdles.
  • Junior Roseline Oshagbemi finished in third place in the discus.
  • Senior Michael Safo won the long jump and finished in third place in the high jump.
  • Senior Abdoul Ndiong finished in third place in the shot put.
  • Senior Ella Rishell finished in second place in the 200 meter dash, third place in the 400 meter dash, and third place in the triple jump.

The ‘Rines will compete again at the Screamin’ Eagles Invitational tomorrow, March 25.

Boys Tennis

The ‘Rines started their season off at home against the Magruder Colonels on Tuesday, March 21. The game ended in a 7-0 win; their first of the season.

The ‘Rines will continue their week with another home game today against the Gaithersburg Trojans at 3:30 pm.

Girls Tennis

The Lady ‘Rines started their season off away against the Magruder Colonels on Tuesday, March 21. The game ended in a loss of 7-0.

The Lady ‘Rines will continue their away trip with a game today against the Gaithersburg Trojans at 3:30 pm.

Softball

Junior Varsity started their season off away against the Wootton Patriots on Wednesday, March 22. The game ended in a nail-biting loss of 22-17.

Varsity started their season off at home against the Wootton Patriots on Wednesday, March 22. The game ended in a loss of 23-2.

Boys Lacrosse

Junior Varsity started their season off at home against the Magruder Colonels on Wednesday, March 22. The game ended in a loss of 16-0.

Varsity started their season off at home against the Magruder Colonels on Wednesday, March 22. The game ended in a loss of 19-0.

The ‘Rines will end their week tonight with Rockville Rams at the Den. Junior Varsity will play at 5:30 pm and Varsity will play at 7:00 pm. Make sure to come out and support.

Girls Lacrosse 

The ‘Rines started their season off away against the Magruder Colonels on Wednesday, March 22. The game ended in a loss of 17-6.

The ‘Rines will end their week away against the Rockville Rams tonight at 7:00 pm. Make sure to come out and support the team by buying tickets on GoFan.

Baseball

The ‘Rines hosted the Wootton Patriots on Thursday, March 23. The game ended in a loss of 24-0.

Boys Volleyball

The ‘Rines started their season off with an away game against the Gaithersburg Trojans on Thursday, March 23. The game ended in a resounding 3-0 win.

Coed Volleyball

The ‘Rines started their season off by traveling away against the Gaithersburg Trojans on Thursday, March 23. The ‘Rines forced a fifth set after being down 2-0, but unfortunately the game ended in a loss of 3-2.