Sports Wrap-Up: February 25 – March 3

Athletic Department

Junior Nebi Tsarni (left) and Sophomore Jabea Ewane (right) both won the West 3A / 4A Regional Championships on Saturday, February 25.

Wrestling

Congratulations to sophomore Jabea Ewane and junior Nebi Tsarni, who both won the West Region 3A / 4A Championships last Saturday, February 25.

Ewane won the final by a 9-3 decision while Tsarni won by pin.

Both student-athletes once again qualified to compete in the State Championships preliminary round on Thursday, March 2, and the finals tomorrow, March 4.

Tsarni went into the State Championships preliminary round on Thursday, March 2, seeded first out of 16 girls. Tsarni won her first match with a pin in 48 seconds and won her second match with a pin securing her a spot in Saturday’s Semifinals.

Ewane went into the State Championships preliminary round on Thursday, March 2, seeded fourth out of 16 girls. Ewane won her first match with a pin in 34 seconds and her second match with a pin in 36 seconds, also securing her spot in Saturday’s Semifinals.

“I am determined to win [the State Championship] a second time,” Tsarni said. “I’m excited to see Jabea [Ewane] defend her title as well.”

Boys Basketball

The ‘Rines played away against the Kennedy Cavaliers on Saturday, February 25 in the first round of the Regional Championships, unfortunately losing 91-49.

Congratulations to the ‘Rines for fighting hard this season.

Girls Basketball

The Lady ‘Rines traveled to face the Magruder Coronels on Friday, February 24.

The Lady ‘Rines unfortunately lost 46-11.  Congratulations to the Lady ‘Rines for working hard throughout the season!

Swim & Dive

Freshman Martin Pineda, juniors Jarod Andwel Naulgan and Dmitriy Bright, and senior Deacon Buchanan competed in the 200 meter Medley Relay at the State Swim Championships on Saturday, February 25.

The ‘Rines managed to drop two seconds off of their personal best, finishing as runners-up in their heat.

Naulgan also competed in the 50 meter and 100 meter freestyle, setting personal bests in both events.

Congratulations to the ‘Rines on a successful season.