Sophomore starts Young Educators of Excellence movement to abolish inequality

Ajay Lal

Sophomore Yishaq Woldesenbet presents a speech at the YEE assembly.

Ajay Branch and Kevin Finn

When the Watkins Mill High School Young Educators of Excellence movement achieves its goals, people all around the world will no longer have to deal with problems of inequality and discrimination.

“This movement isn’t just about Watkins Mill or our community, it’s about the world and everyone who lives in it,” sophomore Yishaq Woldesenbet said. “The big question of the 21st century is how can we abolish inequality and discrimination, with all the killings occurring on the streets, and the discrimination towards Muslims and immigrants? We need change more than ever.”

Woldesenbet is the founder of the YEE movement. “This is something I have always known I would do,” he said.  Woldesenbet was born in Ethiopia and the contrast of the countries he has lived in helped inspire his service movement.  “From coming from one of the poorest countries on earth, to one of the richest counties in the nation, I knew I was brought here for a bigger meaning than getting a degree,” Woldesenbet added.

The YEE movement partnered with the Social Awareness Group to hold an assembly on February 26. The assembly, aimed at raising awareness for issues of equality and racial discrimination in our school and around the world, was just a first step in the two groups’ long-term goal of uniting everyone so that every individual feels they are treated equal to the person standing next to them.

Members of the social awareness group don’t just want people to be aware, but to take advantage of our opportunities to shape the future. “Because we are the outcome of the many battles of freedom and prosperity that has took place on earth, we must make sure we take advantage and construct the future of excellence, so the amount of hard work that has taken place from the start of civilization will not be a waste,” Woldesenbet added.

Woldesenbet “came to me after talking to [principal Carol] Goddard about his interest in starting the [YEE movement] here at Watkins Mill,” Spanish teacher Magdalena Yanes said. “I wanted to help because he seemed very motivated. He showed me a full plan with every bit of information I might have wanted to see.  He is a very smart and talented young man.”

Yanes is the sponsor of the YEE movement. She feels this is an important group because “Our students need to be aware of the many concerns in today’s society and we need to create a plan to make it happen.”

Woldesenbet has also gotten help from his English teacher, David Sampselle. “He seemed earnest and sincere about needing this club,” Sampselle said.

Sampselle saw Woldesenbet’s dedication to his mission in the passion he poured into his assembly speech, which Woldesenbet brought to Sampselle. “[I] read it and told him he needed to make it much more concrete, specific, and focused;  it ranged over history, sociology, etc, never getting to his point,” Sampselle added. “He re-wrote and refined it two or three more times and showed me each draft.”

“Why help him? Well, he promised me $1,000,” Sampselle joked.  While Sampselle has yet to receive his money, this sophomore’s lofty goals and dedication to making the world a better place will ensure his success in the future.