MYP sophomores go on field trips to Strathmore and Glenstone for personal project inspiration

Sanjay Fernando

IB MYP sophomores go on various field trips to help them gain inspiration for their personal project.

Pre-International Baccalaureate (IB) sophomores went on a series of Think Big field trips to places like the Music Center at Strathmore and Glenstone Museum to gain inspiration for their Middle Years Program (MYP) personal project.

Every pre-IB sophomore must complete the MYP personal project, which allows students to practice their Approaches To Learning (ATL) skills, such as self-management, research, communication, critical and creative thinking, and collaboration. The various field trips through the Think Big Program allows students to meet different artists who all have a goal or a message.

“I was hoping that the students could see and take away from their experience [at] Glenstone that art is very much a personal process.” Richard Courtot III, English teacher and MYP coordinator, said.  Art is “something that you have to engage actively [with to] create what’s inside of you.”

Courtot wanted students to interact with art and artists in order to spark their creative and independent thinking.

“We want to help promote art education as well as encourage friendships and collaboration with students from Seneca Valley High School,” English teacher Samuel Lee added. He hoped that students would develop some artistic inspiration to picture a bigger world.

Sophomore Oscar Jimenez wants to base his project on physical health. “I’m excited about seeing my development,” Jimenez said. Although the field trip didn’t give him a type of inspiration for his project, “I think it’s interesting to see how [theater] works and the process of creating a play,” Jimenez added.

Sophomore Ariana Ponce wants to make her project about stop-motion movie to spread awareness. “I wanted to spread out a message, depression dealing with that as well,” Ponce said. “[The field trip] made me realize that even the most simple things can be significant.”