As weather gets warm, winter sports close out successful seasons

Reginald Spears

Watkins Mill basketball’s introduction in playoff game against the Blake High School Bengals.

What a time to be a Wolverine! Not only did our winter sports teams accomplish so much this season, but a majority of them brought something back home. They can each say they have ended their seasons in satisfaction.

The wrestling team did not have the season they wanted, but senior Miguel Carreno-Vega put the team on his back as he fought for states. In his regional wrestling match, Carreno came in second place,an impressive accomplishment when every school in the county was participating.

Unfortunately, Carreno suffered an intense injury playing football with some of his friends stating, “It hurts a lot, but it is my fault.” Looking back on his career at Watkins Mill High School, Carreno believes that he has improved immensely. “My freshman year went pretty rough,” Carreno said. “But the three years after that, I got way better.”

The boys basketball team finished the season with a heartbreaking record of 4-19. They suffered their last loss in the playoffs against Blake High School 76-60, ending their season. Individually, the players performed pretty well. Junior guard Kendale Sewell had over 20 points in their last three games, and along with his teammate junior guard Amara Clemens who lead the team into overtime to defeat the Wheaton Knights.

Sophomore forward Markel Grant wants everyone to stay tuned for next year. “Next year will be pretty good because a lot of people are coming back that really [want to win],” Grant said. “And [the Wolverines basketball team] has a good chance at states.” Grant chose to bid his farewell to the seniors by saying, “Good luck to you guys, and I had a very good time playing on the same team as you.”

Let’s not forget about our Lady ‘Rines for finishing their season ready for the next. With a tough record of 5-16, they know what they must do for next year. Sophomore shooting guard Heaven Atta knows that next season will have much better improvement than this one.

“Hopefully [next year] will be better than this year, we pretty much have the same group of people since we only had one senior,” Atta added. “I think over the summer, everybody will improve and we’ll have a much better season.”

The boys and girls track team didn’t do quite as well as they hoped to in the 3A State Championship, but they still had a great season. At the end of the day, the boys team placed eighteenth and the girls placed seventeenth. Senior Schezarone Carter said, “It felt really good [to make it to states] I worked hard for it, it was my first indoor season, I put a lot of work in.”

For the girls, junior Rhoda Miller ended up in tenth place out of 11 in the 300 meter dash. Senior Alyssa Rishell placed sixth out of 12 in the 500 meter run and as a team they placed third out of 11 schools in the 4×200 meter relay but did not do so well  in the 4×800 as they placed eighth out of 11.

The boys didn’t do as expected either, but still performed admirably. Carter placed tenth out of 14 in the 55 meter dash and fifth out of 11 in the 300 meter dash. As a team they placed 9th out of 11 in the 4×200 meter relay. Senior Sahil Shrestha did really well in the high jump, placing second out of 13.

The swim and dive team finished their season undefeated, one of the only teams to do it in this 2016 winter season. Senior Peter Orban said, “Overall, I think the team did very well, a lot of people stepped up and did a lot of events they aren’t use to.” During the regional meet, the boys team placed eleventh with a time of 1:52.94 in the men 200 yard medley relay. The girls placed twelfth with a time of 2:08.09 in the women 200 yard medley relay.

“I think everyone is going to have step it up, we have a lot of seniors that are leaving … So everyone is going to have to step it up and be a leader,” Orban added. The boys and girls swim and dive team put effort into all of their limbs this winter season and can’t wait until next year.

Overall, the entire winter sports program fought to the finish. For the younger kids, you still have time to improve and win it all next season. Farewell to all seniors, and good luck out there in the real world.