Building service workers keep school sparkling clean, running smoothly

Chase Deist

Building services worker Cliff Kerr cleaning the stairs

If there’s something gross in the C hallway, who you gonna call?

BUILDING SERVICES!

Our building services team has been here for years, yet they are the unsung heroes of the halls. All students and teachers of Watkins Mill High School see them everyday but don’t necessarily know their names, or their stories.

Building service worker Cliff Kerr is often seen outside working on maintaining the grounds or sharing a good laugh with the staff. As he works, Kerr wears his iconic Capitals ball cap, earning himself his nickname as “The Capitals Guy.”

Kerr’s daily routine is always changing. “During the day, [I do] whatever they ask me to do,” Kerr said. “It ranges [from] fixing ceiling tiles to vacuuming the floors, [or from] cleaning up spills to taking care of a section, all kinds of stuff.”

The building service workers are committed to doing their job and have been for a long time, “[I have been working] in the whole school system for 20-21 years,” Kerr said. Kerr wasn’t always here at Watkins Mill though; before, he worked at a local Giant grocery store as an electricity apprentice.

“I [also] worked at a nursery for a while,” Kerr added. All of his previous occupations built him up to be the patient, sociable, and lovable staple of Watkins Mill that he is now– The Capitals Guy.

I like to work my job, [but I really] like to talk [to the students].

Another unsung hero of the halls is building service worker Elsa Bastilas. Bastilas, who came from Ecuador, loves the children here at the Mill. “I have worked here for 13 years [so far],” Bastilas said.

Before Bastilas worked here, she worked at two different hospitals for a combined time of 32 years. She grew to love the social environment there, but moved to Watkins Mill for better financial opportunities. “I like to work my job, [but I really] like to talk [to the students],” Bastilas said.

Watkins Mill’s hardworking building services team are the driving force that keep our school up and running. The students are very thankful for their hard work and dedication to our beloved school. Next time you see any of our diligent building service workers, don’t be afraid to say hello or thank you.

Building services worker Elsa Bastilas sweeps the hallway.