Swim team dives into regionals, finishes with undefeated season

Reggie Spears

Sophomore Chase Soghomonian swims as part of the Wolverine boys swim team.

Selom Kalin, Salekri Sayeh, and

Boys and girls varsity swim team dove through the competition at regionals on February 13. The team finished their regular season with a stellar 5-0 record.

Sophomores Chase Soghomonian and Naina Tsarni, freshmen Madison Aguilar and Matthew Hase, and seniors Nahom Michael and Peter Orban were a few of the swimmers who competed in the regional meet.

“We performed well,” Soghomonian said. “I had a lot of fun.” Soghomonian swam in the 200 medley relay, 200 free relay, 50 free relay, and 100 breaststroke. In the 200 medley relay, the Watkins Mill boys swam a 1:52.94. The boys team, which consisted of Soghomonian, Hase, Orban, and Michael, took eleventh place.

“I may not have made states this year,” Hase said.  “But next year that is definitely one of my goals.” The team has many underclassmen, so the future for both genders looks very bright.

On the women’s side, the girls 200 medley relay team swam a 2:08.09. The team consisted of Naina Tsarni, freshman Khava Tsarni, junior Mackenzie Allen, and freshman Madison Aguilar. They took twelfth place overall. Aguilar said, “Next season, I am going to focus and work on my starts and turns.”

“I had a lot of fun with the whole team, and we had a great season,” Khava Tsarni said. “My goal is to make it to states next year.”  

Allen placed twenty-first overall in the the women’s 50-meter freestyle. “I hope to improve all my times next year and continue helping this team,” Allen said.

“Our team has many freshman and sophomores so I expect our success to continue for a little while,” Khava Tsarni added.

In the 200 yard freestyle, senior Lowell Brophy took fifteenth place. He swam 1:56.13 in the race. “I’m proud of our team and what we did this season,” Brophy added.  “I hope when I leave they continue their success.”

The boys and girls swim team did the unexpected, and they fought through adversity and hardships. They did what no Watkins Mill sports team has done this year. They went undefeated, and we applaud that. Until next year, go ‘Rines!