Boys basketball looks to joust with Wheaton Knights in first round of playoffs tonight

Catherisa Apostol

Senior Jay Cherokee keeps the ball away from an opposing player in the February 19 game against Thomas Johnson High School.

Varsity boys basketball looks to rebound from Tuesday’s tough senior night loss tonight against the Wheaton Knights, here at the Mill. This will be the ‘Rines first playoff game of the year, so all of Orange Nation should attend to lead the ‘Rines to victory.

Tuesday was ‘Rines basketball’s senior night. Boys basketball is graduating five seniors: Jay Cherokee, Michael Spalding, Javon Hall, Gedeon Elenga and Thomas Gordon. These were also the starting five players for the game. Despite the difficulty of the match-up against the Springbrook Blue Devils, the ‘Rines played with heart throughout the whole game but in the end, suffered a 66-33 loss.

On Monday the ‘Rines faced off against the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Barons. They battled hard throughout the whole game but, they weren’t able to leave with the win. “We should have played [harder] defense,” sophomore Jaime Castillo said.

Last Saturday, February 20, the Damascus Green Hornets came here, to Watkins Mill High School, looking to get their sixth win of the season. But the ‘Rines came to the game prepared to swat them down, and got their fourth win of the season. “We had a lot of confidence,” Castillo added. “We slowed down the clock and won the game.”

The ‘Rines lost to the Thomas Johnson High School Patriots, on February 19. “We [needed] to get back on defense, that was killing us,” Cherokee added. The ‘Rines were able to keep themselves within ten points, finishing with a score of 59-50 despite the out-of-conference match-up.

On February 18, ‘Rines basketball looked to hit the Rockville Rams head-on, at Rockville High School, and get their third win of the season. The ‘Rines grabbed the Rams by the horns, and they left with what they were looking for: a winning score of 47-39. “We played defense, and boxed out,” Cherokee added.