NFSHS provides streaming services for all high school sports games

Girls+Varsity+Field+Hockey+at+their+regional+semifinal+game+this+past+Monday.+

Athletic Department

Girls Varsity Field Hockey at their regional semifinal game this past Monday.

The National Federation of State High School Associations is providing a live streaming service for high school sports nationwide called the NFHS Network. Under this program, all 25 MCPS schools’ sports seasons will be streamed.

The NFHS Network is a subscription-based service in which high school sports will be streamed live for those who pay. It is $10.99 a month or $69.99 a year. Subscribing provides access to any game in the nation that has access to the NFHS Network.  However, after 48 hours the games can be watched for free.

All JV and Varsity games in the gym or the stadium are recorded and streamed. WMHS looks forward to streaming all future sports, but some limitations do apply. “Indoor and outdoor track are hard to do,” athletic director Lisa Magness said. “Baseball, softball, you have to have an extra camera for that and unfortunately we don’t have that equipment.”

The 2019-2020 school year, before the COVID-19 shutdown, was the first time the program was implemented. Now that athletics are back in session, all MCPS schools are using the program.

Student-Athletes will have access to programs provided by the NFHS network called Pixellot and Vid Swap. These programs allow students to easily upload films so college coaches and others can easily view clips. “I think it will help student-athletes because it’s hard for us to get their name out there,” senior Omar Nazir said. “For colleges to see this would be a big help.” 

At an additional cost, covered by the athletic department, a film breakdown is provided for all varsity sports. Film is immediately broken down within 24 to 48 hours. Most high schools in the state of Maryland have access to the program.

All fall sports games and future winter sports games can be streamed here.