Sports Wrap-Up: October 1-8

Varsity+captains+Muna+Darlington+%233%2C+Devin+Breckenridge+%232%2C+Kamarr+Louissaint+%2310%2C+and+Brian+Awisome+%235+%28left+to+right%29+

Varsity captains Muna Darlington #3, Devin Breckenridge #2, Kamarr Louissaint #10, and Brian Awisome #5 (left to right)

Boys Soccer

Junior Varsity awaiting a free kick vs the Northwest Jaguars.

Varsity hosted the Kennedy High School Cavaliers on Friday, October 1, but came off with a 6-1 loss. Goal-scoring machine and senior Assou Kowo scored yet again. Varsity went on to draw 0-0 against the Northwest High School Jaguars on Monday, October 4. The game was canceled at halftime due to weather and the second half will not be made up. Varsity has 3 games left in the season against the Magruder High School Colonels, the Paint Branch High School Panthers, and the Churchill High School Bulldogs. 

Junior Varsity also faced off against the Cavaliers on Friday, October 1, and came up just short of a 5-game win streak with a 3-2 loss. An overtime 0-0 draw against the Jaguars on Monday, October 4 puts JV at 4-2-2 (wins-losses-ties) on the season with their final game on Tuesday, October 12 against the Magruder Colonels.

Girls Soccer

Varsity started off the week with a 10-0 loss on Monday, October 4 against the Northwest High School Jaguars. The game was interrupted due to weather but the rest of the game will not be made up.

Our ‘Rines then faced the Kennedy High School Cavaliers, just losing out 4-2. Early goals in both halves and some acrobatic saves by goalkeeper Lisbeth Castillo leaves Varsity with three games left in the season against the Magruder Colonels, the Paint Branch Panthers, and the Churchill Bulldogs.

Football

Varsity football go head-to-head with the Damascus Hornets.

Varsity traveled to the home of the Damascus High School Hornets on Friday, October 1, but left with a 61-13 loss. Touchdowns from seniors Devin Breckenridge and Tyjohn Kaine helped the ‘Rines put up a good fight with only four games left in the season. Varsity are capping off Homecoming week with a game at home tonight against the Gaithersburg High School Trojans. The game starts at 6:30 so come make some noise for our ‘Rines.

“We practice harder, focus more, and put in more effort than ever before so we can win. We’re right there, we just need to turn that final corner.” Varsity Lineman Ezekiel Moody said.

Junior Varsity played away against the Hornets on Friday, October 1, but lost 42-7. Junior Varsity also hosted the Gaithersburg Trojans on Thursday, October 7, but lost 14-6 in a closely fought battle.

Field Hockey

Ella Rishell defending number 13 on the Springbrook Blue Devils.

Varsity Field Hockey hosted Springbrook Blue Devils on Tuesday, October 5. It was the game, the game ended with a tie of 0-0 leading them to go into overtime. By the end of the first overtime it was still tied, the lady ‘Rines kept possession of the ball for the majority of the time and had some nice shots on goal. Senior goalkeeper Bidushi Lakhemaru had some amazing saves and somewhere she was under a lot of pressure. Unfortunately, the second overtime ended with a loss of 1-0.

The Field Hockey team took on the Magruder Colonels on Thursday, October 7. The game started strong with an early lead of 1-0 for the ‘Rines. After some tough battles against the Colonels, the lady ‘Rines faced a tough loss of 5-1.

Come out and support Field Hockey on Monday, October 11, as they take on Kennedy High School Cavaliers here at the Den. The game starts at 3:45.