Watkins Mill welcomes full student body back to building

Shelby Aguilar

Students return to Watkins Mill in person for a more normal (although masked) year.

Welcome back ‘Rines! After having online school for 18 months, many changes have been implemented throughout the school. Here are a few essential things you should know:

1) Chromebook Needs 

Chromebooks are available to every student in the school: you can replace your old one, get a temporary one, or get one if you never had one at all. You can be helped with all your technology needs in A100, by the main office. 

2) Sick Policy

Times have changed. We used to come to school without a mask and come in with colds all the time with no one batting an eye. Now, masks are always required when in the building (although you can be mask-free outside), and if you feel sick, take a day off to keep yourself and others safe. 

3) The Cafeteria

This year, breakfast and lunch are free for all students. Please feel free to grab lunch or breakfast when you’re hungry. To enter the cafeteria during lunch, you must scan a QR code in order to keep account of the students joining and help ensure safety. Masks are not required in the cafeteria but students are highly encouraged to eat outside.

4) Homecoming Game

The Homecoming football game will take place on Friday, October 8 against the Gaithersburg Trojans. Spirit week will take place the week leading up to the game from October 4-8. Follow @WMOrangeNation on Twitter and Instagram to get updates on each theme day and the Homecoming dance.

5) Homecoming halls

Homecoming halls are an annual tradition at WMHS, where each grade decorates their hall according to a theme. This year’s theme is Board Games. Seniors have Candyland, juniors have Clue, sophomores have Monopoly, and freshmen have Ticket to Ride. Students interested in participating should reach out to their class sponsor today. The senior class sponsor is social studies teacher Josh Halper, the junior class sponsor is social studies teacher Brittany McIntyre, the sophomore sponsor is special education teacher Gloria Makosy, and the freshmen sponsor is child development teacher Melissa Cloyd.

The Homecoming halls will be finished by October 2, in time for Homecoming week.

Many things may have changed this year, but that Wolverine spirit hasn’t. And be sure to check back in on The Current to stay up to date on all upcoming school news!