WMHS schedule to finish third quarter with distance learning begins Monday

Jade Pinkowitz

MCPS has released a new schedule for online classes for the remainder of the third marking period.

Watkins Mill High School staff and students will be adjusting to a new online schooling schedule beginning on Monday, April 6.

The framework for the schedule is split by “A days” consisting of first through fourth periods and “B days” consisting of fifth through eighth periods (eighth period is for students who were part of an after-school period with Edmentum).

The bi-daily schedule is in place for the remainder of the third quarter, which ends on Friday, April 17.

For the first week (April 6-8), teachers will send information to classes for students to access at any time on Monday, April 6. Tuesday, April 7 will be an “A day,” where students will have the morning to work and then teachers will hold office hours to assist students in the afternoon.  Teachers can choose between zoom conferences, chats, or email, for office hours and will communicate that to students.

• First period will begin at 12:45pm and end at 1:15pm
  • Second period will begin at 1:25pm and end at 1:55pm.
  • Third period will begin at 2:05pm and end at 2:35pm.
  • Fourth period will begin at 2:45pm and end at 3:15pm.
  • An optional Village Time will take place between 3:15pm and 4:30pm for students to get help from teachers.

Wednesday, April 8 will be a “B day,” where students will again work in the morning, then be able to contact their fifth through eighth period teachers for online office hours.

• Fifth period will begin at 12:45pm and end at 1:15pm
  • Sixth period will begin at 1:25pm and end at 1:55pm.
  • Seventh period will begin at 2:05pm and end at 2:35pm.
  • Eighth period will begin at 2:45pm and end at 3:15pm for students who participate in the after-school Edmentum program.

There will be no school on Thursday, April 9 or Friday, April 10. For the second week, there is no school on Monday, April 13. On Tuesday, April 14 teachers will send information to classes for students to access at any time. Then the schedule follows the previous week.

Wednesday, April 15 will be an “A day,” and students will be able to contact their teachers online in the afternoon.

Thursday, April 16 will be a “B day,” and students will be able to contact their fifth through eighth period teachers online.

Friday, April 17 is the last day of the third marking period and will be a day for teachers to plan, for students to make up work, and for assignments to be turned in. Teachers will be available to students online. Each teacher will have office hours where they are available online to help students on April 17 as well.

The goal of the next two weeks is to finish the third marking period. No more than one or two additional assignments should be given to students and they should be strictly review. The fourth marking period might be adjusted to a different schedule; MCPS will release updates as needed.