Sports Wrap-Up: February 14-20

Jade Pinkowitz

Junior Joseph Crespo dribbles the ball around a Clarksburg High School player.

Boys Basketball

The Watkins Mill High School Wolverines played the Whitman High School Vikings on February 14 at Whitman but lost with a final score of 72-63.

The boys defeated Clarksburg High School on February 18 at home for their senior night. Seniors Antonio Brown, Jordan Holland, David Kokora, Davion Gray, Mamadou Ndoing, and Demetrius Rush celebrated their last regular-season game at Watkins Mill. “We’ve come a long way from starting the season at 0-2 and we have worked so hard,” Holland said. “We just have a great group of guys that are willing to put in the work and now we’re just ready for playoffs.”

The final score of the game was an insane 69-68 with Brown scoring the winning basket for Watkins Mill. The win against Clarksburg secured a home playoff game for the boys. “I feel confident and excited for the home playoff game because it’s a first for me,” Gray added.

Girls Basketball

The Watkins Mill High School Wolverines played the Whitman High School Vikings on February 14 at Whitman but lost with a final score of  75-19. “I’m proud of the way my team was able to grow together despite the adversities we faced throughout our season,” junior Chia Nwankwo said.

The girls played Clarksburg High School on February 18 at home for their senior night. Senior Jamilila Jones celebrated her last regular-season game at Watkins Mill but senior Lanaij Gammaly was unavailable to celebrate with her team. The final score was 75-21. “We fought hard through all our games despite the outcomes and we never gave up,” Nwankwo added.

Indoor Track

The Watkins Mill High School indoor track team competed against 41 other teams in the MPSSAA Class 3A Indoor State Championships on Monday, February 17 at the Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex.

Sophomore Donovan Brown came in eleventh place for the 300-meter event and junior Baebaa Sayeh came in tenth for the shot put event. “One thing I’ve learned from this season is that when you don’t practice, you don’t perform well,” Brown said. Brown also came in seventh place for the high jump event and senior Reggie McKinney came in eighth.