Sports Wrap-Up: January 3-10

Jade Pinkowitz

Senior Jaylen Stephens warms up for a game against Poolesville High School.

Boys Basketball

The team sprang back into action immediately after winter break and defeated Seneca Valley High School’s Falcons after a close game. The final score of the game was 59-57. “We had a solid lead but then we started to lack… defensively and offensively which allowed [Seneca Valley] to come back and caused a close game,” senior Mamadou Ndoing said.

The Wolverines defeated Poolesville High School’s Falcons yesterday, January 9 with a final score of 67-42. “We had to do better at maintaining a lead and not letting the other team come back which is what we did last night,” Ndoing added. Senior Jordan Holland scored 24 of the 67 points and senior Antonio Brown scored 14 points.

“We played hard and we really wanted to protect our home court so we did what we had to do,” senior Jordan Holland said. The boys face off against Northwest High School’s Jaguars tonight at 7:15 at Northwest.

Girls Basketball

The team returned from winter break with a bang. On Friday, January 3 the girls played an intense game against Seneca Valley High School. They fought hard despite the long break, but it just wasn’t enough against the Screamin’ Eagles, ending a tough fight with a final score of 61-36. “Due to the winter break everyone went with their families to other states so nobody was coming to the workouts, so when it was time to play nobody was connected,” senior captain Adriana Amaya said. 

After their hard loss against Seneca Valley, the team has pushed themselves in practice to improve for their game against Poolesville High School. Yesterday, January 9, the Wolverines got stuck against Poolesville’s Falcons, who beat the ‘Rines 68-40. “In the beginning, we weren’t having the right momentum [and] our heads weren’t in the game,” junior Isis Obolensky added. 

Swim and Dive

Watkins Mill High School’s coed swim and dive team lost a hard-fought battle to the Springbrook High School Blue Devils 120-58 Saturday, January 4 at Martin Luther King Jr. Swim Center. Juniors Diana Yanes and Alyssa Holt swam their personal best times. Junior Christopher Crews dropped three seconds in the 200-meter event and won third place.

“We all are different but every single one of us strives to do better even if we lose, I know my team can do it because we love to swim,” Senior Selvin Cruz said. The ‘Rines swim against Paint Branch High School Panthers and Springbrook High School Devils Saturday, January 11 at Germantown Aquatic Center.

Indoor Track

The Watkins Mill High School indoor track team competed on Wednesday, January 8 in the Montgomery County Public Schools third meet at Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex. They were one of 25 teams participating in the event.

“[I think that the team has done] exceptionally well. We started from the bottom and now we’re at the top,” coach Steve Schaired said. Junior Baebaa Sayeh placed 5 in the 55-meter dash and senior Brianna Castillo gained a new personal record of four feet in the high jump event.

“I think that our team has potential but we haven’t quite hit it yet. We really need to lock in as a team to push ourselves to the level we were at last year,” Sayeh said. The team goes head-to-head with 17 other teams today, January 10 at Hagerstown Community College for the Western Maryland Winter Classic.