Outdoor Recreation and Conservation Club promotes green school, helps environment

As the world leaders from across the globe gathered in Paris last month to discuss and find solutions to environmental issues our planet faces today, a little group of Watkins Mill students began working to do their part here.

English teacher Christopher Smith teamed up with science teacher Matthew O’Connor to create the Outdoor Recreation and Conservation Club or as Smith would like to call it, ORCC (fellow Lord of the Rings fans will understand).

“I met with Mr.O’Connor in the science department and we both had a mutual interest in outdoor activities and we thought other students would as well,” Smith said.  The club’s main goal is to  keep the school clean, “have an awesome time all the time, and to help inspire students to care about the planet they live on.”

So far, the club has met twice. During one meeting they picked up trash and in the next meeting they took time to watch documentaries and participate in discussions. The students also engage in promoting being “green” at school  by composting and recycling. “We pick up trash and do other activities and get SSL hours in return,” freshman Ta’Niya Gorham said.

Principal Carol Goddard showed much support for the club’s effort. “I think having an Outdoor Conservation and Recreation Club is a fabulous idea… The club is protecting part of our ecosystem and creating a healthy lifestyle,” Goddard said. “I am glad we have students [and] staff that are concerned with the environment and are willing to help clean it up.  This club could have a strong impact on our students and staff at WMHS.”

The club meets usually on Thursdays or by appointment and is open for everybody to join. “We learn a lot about biodiversity,” senior Haley Wess said. It’s free and includes snacks during the meetings, so grab your friend and run to either Smith or O’Conner if interested and start your pathway to making our planet a better place.