Sports Wrap-Up: October 21-25

Carol Goddard

Field Hockey took on Magruder in the first round of the playoffs, but lost.

Varsity Girls Volleyball

On Tuesday, October 22 the girls played Magruder High School losing to them 3-0. Even though the girls lost, they tried their best and held their own throughout the whole game. Then on October 24, the girls blew out Blake High School. The girls had a rocky start, but came together as a team to beat Blake 3-1. 

“The game was really outstanding, we started off rough, but then we manage to win the last three sets, which is great,” senior Melanie Torres.

Varsity Girls Soccer

The girls played their first regional game against Magruder High School on Wednesday October 23, but ultimately lost. The girls ended their season with great energy and played their hardest. 

“I think since it’s our last game there was more communication out there,” junior Beverlyn Medina said. “It showed what we learned throughout the season, not everything I liked, but we played good.” 

Varsity Field Hockey

The Watkins Mill Wolverine girls field hockey team lost to the Colonel Zadok Magruder Colonels 5-0 on October 24 in the Wolverine Den.

The ‘Rines lost the first round of playoffs after a hard-fought game. The ‘Rines finished their season 4-8. 

“All of our seniors played their hardest and we had a new senior, Charity James, coming to varsity this year and she really proved herself,” sophomore Ryleigh Waters said.  “I’m excited for next year.”

Varsity Boys Soccer

Watkins Mill High School varsity boys soccer beat John F. Kennedy High School Cavaliers 2-to-1 in their last regular season game at John F. Kennedy High School Monday, October 21.

Junior Joseph Crespo and Junior Carlos Cardona scored one goal each.  

“Knowing that Watkins Mill hasn’t gone that far in a while and Blake was our only time it gives us motivation to avenge that and come out with a win,” senior Kebba Sanyang said.

The ‘Rines play Saturday, October 26 against Blake at Watkins Mill High School at 4 pm in the 3A West Region Tournament Semifinals.

Cross Country

Varsity cross country lost their county meet October 19, at Bohrer Park. “It was every team in the county,” junior Naveen Smith said. “It was really competitive.”

Smith believes that if they focus on conditioning and do more hills than they will be more prepared for counties next year.