High School Nation rocks Watkins Mill with music/arts festival

Leah Niles

Jade Pinkowitz

Sofi K embraces her fans during the High School Nation music and arts festival at Watkins Mill High School.

Amelia Burton, Associate Editor

High School Nation brought the house down yesterday at Watkins Mill High School. The event was full of fun activities and free gifts that everyone could enjoy. HSN brought five singers: MicahBlu dancing and rapping,  Sophie K with her original music, Kerri Medders serving looks and vocals, CARYS getting the crowd hyped, and Jessame serving R&B goodness. 

Each singer brought their own style and flavor to the Mill rocking out and getting the crowd jumping. Students even got the chance to get on stage with MicahBlu and dance with her and her dancers. 

Student dancers and assistant principal Rhoshanda Pyles also learned and performed a choreographed dance with professional dancer Liz LeGrande on stage. The whole event contained so many exciting things, that just had to be there to experience. 

“The concert was great,” senior Vanelle Wendu said. “I had a really good time. It was a very new event at Watkins Mill that we never experienced, so I was really excited and had a great time.” 

High School Nation members also hosted a question and answer session for select students about the industry and their journey to where they are now. The artists gave some advice on finding a proper agent, the differences between theatre and film, and simply letting the students know that the journey is going to be hard, worth it.

“I do music,” sophomore Assoupi Kowo said, “it gave me encouragement. if you want to do music to keep on trying to pursue that dream.”

The event was sponsored by some companies such as Hollister, which gave out free merchandise and letting the students customize the shirts. The amount of games there allowed students to let loose and enjoy a stress-free event and enjoy the time and company of their friends. 

“I wasn’t stressing about the things I usually do because I just spent two hours with my friends and listened to music and got free stuff,” freshman Ashley Huynh said.

The whole intent was to try to get everybody focused back on the arts, music, and all of the jobs that come with that,” principal Carol Goddard said. “It’s not just the performers, you’ve got all those vendors who were showing kids how to be a DJ or how to record…to get people to understand that it’s a lot bigger than what you see on stage.”

“I was really proud of our kids,” Goddard added, “everybody was having a great time.”